29 replies to this topic

#25 GTSticky

GTSticky

Über Geek

• Folding Member
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

/agree DarkScorpion

Installing while OC'd can cause problems which would never come up had the OS been installed at stock speed, then OCd. It's rare, but I've seen it happen a few times. Though that was a couple generations ago with OCd Celerons, I can only speculate that it's still "not a great idea" because I haven't done it in a while.

#26 BeatRyder

BeatRyder

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:27 PM

Well, the way I see it, if you have tested your rig and its stable, then installing your OS when OC'ed should not matter.

That said, I had a stable OC, and ended up haveing to return my system to stock speeds b4 the os would install properly.

I know I just contradicted my self, but here is the point:

better safe than sorry, and by sorry, I mean better to waste an HOur of your day to install an OS, than to spend all day fecking around with your box to get it to work.

#27 AYoKoNA

AYoKoNA

Decriminalize Drugs!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:51 PM

Agreed I Install OS's on Oc/ed Computers 24/7 with no problems ever.
Infact when i mess with timings it sometimes corrupts the OS, therefor I find my stable point in prime95, folding, etc. , and then install at those speeds that I found most stable.
My Idol and Mentor

it does not matter.. kerry will win.. MARK MY WORDS.. :)

You take to much of your information of experts..Quit going to the experts and ask the sources.

I think we need less arguing in courts.

#28 LoTek

LoTek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

. You may want to look into the DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B, DFI NFII Infinity, Epox EP-8RDA3+, Abit NF7-S or an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, those boards have proven to be good overclocking boards.

What's the difference between the EP-8RDA3+ and the one I have (EP-8RDA3I series)?

I guess I'll start by returning the ram and ordering something else. Any suggestions? I would like to have 1GB (2 x 512MB to run in dual channel) for under 200$.

#29 Altern

Altern

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:40 PM

Agreed I Install OS's on Oc/ed Computers 24/7 with no problems ever.
Infact when i mess with timings it sometimes corrupts the OS, therefor I find my stable point in prime95, folding, etc. , and then install at those speeds that I found most stable.

I've found that Windows runs much more stabley when the operating system is installed at a STABLE OC that I am planning to keep. If the operating system has problems installing then your OC'ed too much and need to back down.
Altern
---------------------------------------------------
Packard Bell
AMD 1700+ Overclocked to 2.2Ghz @ 200x11(Temp 114F-132F)
Biostar M7NCG 400 motherboard (nForce2)
2x256MB PC2100 RAM CAS 2.0
Integrated GeForce 4 @ 350Mhz
Cooler Master HHC-001 Heat Pipe Heatsink with aluminum fan

#30 LoTek

LoTek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:14 AM

May have found my problem...let me know if you guys think it could be it. I recently bought the Gainward 5900 128MB Vid card for this system which i flashed to 5950. In about every 5-10 restarts my computer won't come on and error code by the motherboard says video card. I tried the card on another system and it does the same thing (every 5-10 restarts). Would this card be the reasons why my OC is going so well?

Note: I flashed the card back to it's normal state and it does the same thing in every 5-10 restarts (only occurs though when I plug the card into the power supply). If I don't plug it into the power supply it runs fine. Power supplies used ranged from 300w - 550w. So I doubt it's the powersupply.

UPDATE: I ordered the leadtek 5900 card in hopes that it will solve my new video card problem on certain reboots, and I've been able to OC the computer a little more but have hit another barrier at 11 x 194 (xp3000+).

update: 2/28/03 - Leadtek card came in...I no longer have that "No video card" problem on reboots (or not yet anyways). Computer is finally stable at 3200+ (11 x 200); however, it's getting 1.85v. According to cpu-z, it says the cpu voltage is at 1.61v. I checked SisSandra and I guess my board regulates the voltage to the cpu b/c it says my aux voltage is at 1.85v and the cpu voltage is at 1.61v which is what cpu-z states. Maxed out the voltage to the memory at 2.9v. idle temps are: 38C under load: 43C. How much more do you think I can push this? ...or should I push it? <_<

loTek

Edited by LoTek, 28 February 2004 - 12:54 AM.