Problem Getting Over 3200+ With Pc4000

LoTek

/agree DarkScorpion

Installing while OC'd can cause problems which would never come up had the OS been installed at stock speed, then OCd. It's rare, but I've seen it happen a few times. Though that was a couple generations ago with OCd Celerons, I can only speculate that it's still "not a great idea" because I haven't done it in a while.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the way I see it, if you have tested your rig and its stable, then installing your OS when OC'ed should not matter.

That said, I had a stable OC, and ended up haveing to return my system to stock speeds b4 the os would install properly.

I know I just contradicted my self, but here is the point:

better safe than sorry, and by sorry, I mean better to waste an HOur of your day to install an OS, than to spend all day fecking around with your box to get it to work.

Agreed I Install OS's on Oc/ed Computers 24/7 with no problems ever.

Infact when i mess with timings it sometimes corrupts the OS, therefor I find my stable point in prime95, folding, etc. , and then install at those speeds that I found most stable.

. You may want to look into the DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B, DFI NFII Infinity, Epox EP-8RDA3+, Abit NF7-S or an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, those boards have proven to be good overclocking boards.

What's the difference between the EP-8RDA3+ and the one I have (EP-8RDA3I series)?

I guess I'll start by returning the ram and ordering something else. Any suggestions? I would like to have 1GB (2 x 512MB to run in dual channel) for under 200$.

Agreed I Install OS's on Oc/ed Computers 24/7 with no problems ever.

Infact when i mess with timings it sometimes corrupts the OS, therefor I find my stable point in prime95, folding, etc. , and then install at those speeds that I found most stable.

I've found that Windows runs much more stabley when the operating system is installed at a STABLE OC that I am planning to keep. If the operating system has problems installing then your OC'ed too much and need to back down.

May have found my problem...let me know if you guys think it could be it. I recently bought the Gainward 5900 128MB Vid card for this system which i flashed to 5950. In about every 5-10 restarts my computer won't come on and error code by the motherboard says video card. I tried the card on another system and it does the same thing (every 5-10 restarts). Would this card be the reasons why my OC is going so well?

Note: I flashed the card back to it's normal state and it does the same thing in every 5-10 restarts (only occurs though when I plug the card into the power supply). If I don't plug it into the power supply it runs fine. Power supplies used ranged from 300w - 550w. So I doubt it's the powersupply.

UPDATE: I ordered the leadtek 5900 card in hopes that it will solve my new video card problem on certain reboots, and I've been able to OC the computer a little more but have hit another barrier at 11 x 194 (xp3000+).

update: 2/28/03 - Leadtek card came in...I no longer have that "No video card" problem on reboots (or not yet anyways). Computer is finally stable at 3200+ (11 x 200); however, it's getting 1.85v. According to cpu-z, it says the cpu voltage is at 1.61v. I checked SisSandra and I guess my board regulates the voltage to the cpu b/c it says my aux voltage is at 1.85v and the cpu voltage is at 1.61v which is what cpu-z states. Maxed out the voltage to the memory at 2.9v. idle temps are: 38C under load: 43C. How much more do you think I can push this? ...or should I push it? <_<

loTek

Edited by LoTek