Problem Getting Over 3200+ With Pc4000

LoTek

Heres a problem I had. After overclocking my CPU I had a lot of problems with Windows locking up. I reinstalled my audio driver and it worked fine. I would suggest reinstalling Windows at the higher clock speed before getting another motherboard.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you return the ram? i mean you spent more money for 3-4-4-8 is no fun... atleast cas 2, i mean you have pc4000 running at pc2700 speeds with extremely loose timmings.... i would try and return the ram for store credit and get some pc3200 cas:2. also run it at 1:1 ratio. i have never seen a proper cooled 2500+ that couldnt reach 3200+, i have seen a couple posts of it crapping out at 3000+.

GL.. you'll have it figured out eventually..

I guess I'll try re-installing the OS at the higher clock speed and see what happen - hopefully that works. As for the memory, yeah I can take it back. I bought it this week on sale at Best Buy (a little less than 100$ a stick which I didn't think was too bad for HyperX esp PC4000).

I am open to more suggestions. I really want to get to 3200+ stable before trying to push this further. If you think I should take back the memory chips, let me know and what should I buy instead (I guess budget would be 200$ seeing that's what I spent on these...but if there's something that's cheaper and better please let me know, but I def. need a total of 1GB total).

If you believe it's the board, I guess I'm open to suggestions on that as well. I spent about 70$ for the board ( I can't return it b/c it's past my return period), but I guess I can always sell it on ebay or something (hopefully getting what I paid for it)....to put towards the new board.

So I guess to sum things up, if I should return the ram and sell the board, what should I get instead (haha). Budget would be a total of $270 (combo of what I paid for both ram and board, but def. need 1GB of memory to run in dual channel because I run a lot of engineering programs at the same time.

Thanks again for your help

loTek

Ok then, that doesn't really explain anything does it, though you do have quite alot of stuff plugged into it. I suppose you could try disconnecting a few of the fans if it doesn't effect cooling too much, and switch any that are plugged into the MB for 4 pin connectors. Hopefully this would solve any wierd voltage probs. Still can't see why your psu wouldn't handle all you have though. Just thought it was strange when you said about your cpu - z voltage reading. Try this then check it again.

Well, I'm pretty stumped then. You could have a stubborn motherboard, so thats probably the next thing i would do/change. You can't guarantee this would change anything though, you may just be incredibly unlucky. :angry:

Edited by jammin

those epox boards are pretty decent im not quite sure if its the mobo, but i think that pc4000 ram is definately overkill. i think its running too much under spec and the timings are too loose. get some good cas2 pc3200 and try it out on the same board. You should be able to hit 3200 with a way lower voltage than 1.75. Most 2500's only need a boost to around 1.675 or 1.7, and ive seen some good steppings that will even do it on stock. Though that ram past memtest, it still is probably the source of your instability.

I would suggest reinstalling Windows at the higher clock speed before getting another motherboard.

NEVER install an OS while the system is overclocked, no matter how good you think your system is. You will probably end up with glitches or in a worst-case scenario, lock up during the install and have everything go down hill from there. I believe your motherboard is to blame, not the RAM. You may want to look into the DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B, DFI NFII Infinity, Epox EP-8RDA3+, Abit NF7-S or an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, those boards have proven to be good overclocking boards.

NEVER install an OS while the system is overclocked, no matter how good you think your system is.

Why not? What can it hurt? Nobody is going to die from it, and if theres problems then clock it down and reinstall Windows again. No biggie. lol