Problem Getting Over 3200+ With Pc4000

LoTek

As the title says, I recently got a Barton 2500+. I wanted to get it to 3200+ and then see how much further I could push it afterwards. I had a single chip of Samsung 512 PC2700, but I couldn't get anywhere near 3200+; therefore, I decided to upgrade. I went out and bought 2 x 512 Kingston HyperX PC4000 (figured why not - gave me an excuse to buy something..haha). Anyways, I still can't get the chip to stay stable at 3200+. My inital temps at stock vcore were 30C. I bumped the vcore all the way up to 1.9v and now my temps are at 48C idle. :O . Did I just happen to get a chip that won't get to 3200+ or is there something else I need to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Computer specs are in profile.

loTek

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or it could be that ram, you want pc3500 or 3200.. 4000 is just way to high and may not like to run at 3200 speeds. also usually 1.9v is way too much for a barton at 2200.. my 2600+ wont run 2200mhz stable at 1.75v but doesnt have a problem with 1.725v.

start from the beggining, with stock voltage, if your not getting a stable o/c at 2800+ then up the V a little and so on, dont just jump to 1.9v. i have a swifttech mxv*** with a 78cfm 92mm fan and my Barton could never stay stable at 1.8v ( and i have reattached my hsf 20 times atleast).

i also dont think your getting the right temp readings.. install MBM5(mother board monitor 5) and get your DIOD reading instead of the socket reading. my socket will read 42 degreas but my CPU DIOD would be running 70 degrees (with extreme overclocks)...

Thanks for all the replies. This is really driving me nuts. Ok let's see..I've been using MBM5 (that's where I'm getting my temps from). I started from scratch again (stock everything). So my steps are as follows:

1. Original setup - 11 x 166 = xp2500+

2. Default voltage on everything

3. Idle temps: 32C Full Load: 35C

4. Bumped up FSB using stock voltage until windows wouldn't load

5. Problems at 11 x 175 (so upped voltage) - now until stable (1.75).

6. Ran 3dmark03, pcmark04, 3dmark2001, sisandra, prime95 (stable). Then did some random application loading and crashed. Current temps at 1.75 (idle: 40 / load: 42).

I want to push the system further, but I can't even get it stable at 2600+ (1929mhz). Should I press on? Is there something else I can do?

According to CPU-Z: The memory is running at 5:6 , timmings are 3-3-3-9 if that helps.

As for the board, I always thought EPOX was really good for overclocking (this is my second board, an upgrade from the 8k3a model)

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if there is any other info you need?

loTek

I've got that same mobo in a second machine of mine, and it doesn't like OC'n at all. I'm leaning towards the mobo myself, cause there is no reason that PC4000 shouldn't run at 200 mhz. And you should be able to run a 1:1 ratio. Either that or your ram is really beat. :blink:

I'm starting to lean towards the motherboard as well. I ran my memory through Memtest86 with different voltages and at different speeds and it didn't report back any errors. I even tested it at 3200+ speeds and it past the memtest; however, when I start windows it blue screens.

I recently purchased this board as an upgrade to my other epox (8k3a) hoping to overclock this chip to 3200+ and then see how much further I could take it w/ the PC4000 ram. I guess I'll start looking into getting yet another motherboard (and sell this one on fleabay - i mean ebay if anything).

If anyone can think of anything else I can do, or would like to suggest a board for me to look into it would be greatly appreciated.

loTek

PS> the current settings that are stable on this chip is 11 x 185 w/ timings of 3-4-4-8 (i read on the kingston website that these are the timings I am suppose to use for this chip - even though the board detects it as 3-3-3-8.). Also, vcore is at 1.775, but when I run cpu-z it says 1.61v (not sure why, but I know it's at 1.775 because my temps went up as well.) idle: 42C load: 47C