Sign in to follow this  
Black64

Need to find a good pair of headphones...

So I need to find my dad a anniversary gift, and he currently has a pair of Sennheiser hd555. I don't know much about headphones, so I need some recommendations. He already has a good DAC and Tube amp, so I think he just needs a better pair of headphones. I am quite clueless about headphones so any help is great!

Budget is $300 max, wired would be a must and noise canceling is not needed.

Here is what I found so far.

Sennheiser Momentum

V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Do you need to surprise him with it or could you say take him in somewhere to trial headphones?

I reckon it would be best if you could get him to try out a whole range of cans and decide which works for him.

Personally I would look at circumaural headphones and not on ear like the momentum and anything with anc is out for me as I dont want my sound getting coloured. Do you know if your dad would want open.or closed headphones/what does he normally listen too.

Nope, it's gotta be a surprise. And I am not sure if on ear or around ear would be better, but he seems to prefer the on ear ones.

Strange I personally cannot stand on ear. There also tends to be less on ear headphones to choose from in the mid to high end.

So what does he listen to?

https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Alpha-Pad-Fostex-T50RP-headphone

Some people say that these are the best closed headphones under $1000. Arguable, but notable.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W

Good reference class headphone, don't bother going for the k702. Not much of a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ7VMODKUTIUWFY2Q%26tag%3Dheadfiorg-pro-mct-li-t-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000G3LCQC

Kinda under budget, awesome Grado's, comfort may be an issue with the pads. Those can be changed.

If that's the case then the mad dog would be my choice. I've been wanting to give them, or a pair of the fostex t50rp that I would mod myself, a shot.

However at the moment I have the Q701s and have loved them but that's part of how i use them. They're good for gaming and lots of my more alternative and vocal music listening however they lack a lot of low end with the open cup design. With a nice warm amp this can be combated a bit but they really aren't intended for anything bass heavy as you'll miss a lot of it.

You could potentially get the HD600s used for a fair price, and then just buy new pads and a new cable to refurbish them. IDK if would be willing to do such a thing, but the HD600s would be worth it. 

The Q701s/K701s/K702s are decent choices. I too had the Q701s, and upgraded the the HD600s. There was a massive difference in sound quality. 

DT990 pro might also be an option. 

The fostex T50-RP are sort of a hit and miss. The amp and dac can either make or break these headphones to the point where regular T50-RPs sound better than Mr. Speaker headphones if they are on a good amp vs some piece of junk amp. 

The only thing that would concern me is that adding warmth with the tube amp to a bass loving headphone might make the bass eat up a bit too much of the mids, but I have not played around with the T50-RPs on enough amps to say anything for certain.

I would avoid grado headphones. They simply are not comfortable. 

He's got a tube amp and a pretty good DAC (not sure what brands, haven't seen them recently) But I went with the Sennheiser Momentum.

Edited by Black64