Budget Build

nns

I am looking for a budget build with minimal usage like Internet and Office Applications. I have used Athlon II x2 320 successfully over the years and still works really well. I am not looking for much better performance but there is this new stuff like AMD A4, A6, and A8 series which make no sense to me now.

Should I simply go for the tried and tested stuff or should I look at Intel or other AMD stuff?

This is what I have in mind:

Intel Pentium G2020

A Gigabyte/ASRock/ASUS motherboard (reliable one albeit cheap :) )

Kingston HyperX Blue 4GB RAM

Corsair VS350 power supply

WD HDD (Already have a couple of them)

Dell 20" Monitor

Please suggest if you have any changes in mind. 

I would personally look at an A6 or A8 processor and build from there. They will give you a solid video base and good CPU performance. You could go lower cost but the little extra money will give you more options down the road. As for the RAM I personally would not build a system with less than 8 gig. The cost is low enough to not worry about it and again gives you a more versatile build.

I am not replacing anything. I need a new PC an additional one!

@comoutered I'll add the extra 4GB. Could you suggest an A6 build.

Is the power supply fine?

And is the processor better than amd athlon?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

The advantage of apu is that if your looking to build they put processor and graphics together. I would actually suggest an a8 5800 look on new egg you will probably find a complete build combo relatively cheap.

The advantage of apu is that if your looking to build they put processor and graphics together. I would actually suggest an a8 5800 look on new egg you will probably find a complete build combo relatively cheap.

Well, the G2020 the OP was looking at also has IGP, granted I believe that the A8/A10 APU's have better performing IGP's than the Pentium.  However, if we're talking about a budget build for stuff like the OP listed (internet browsing and Office), video performance probably isn't a concern.

Nevertheless, APU's are definitely worth considering.  Up front costs are relatively low compared to the performance they offer; I mean, at Microcenter, you can get an A6-6400K with a motherboard for just $10 more than the G2030 alone.  Another thing to consider, though, is operating cost.  In general, under load, the Pentium tends to draw significantly less power than an APU.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know too much about it, but on Newegg, the newer G3220 is like $2 more than the G2020.  Something to consider, after doing more research of course.