Do I really need an RAID

Smiki007

I have two Plextor 256GB SSD drives (PX256M3), and one WD CB 1TB HDD, all three of them are 6GB/s, the two SSDs are connected to Intel SATA 3 controller and WD to Marwel SATA 3 controller. I'm planning to use one SSD for OS and heavy programs (Minesite, Surpac, Civil3D, Terramodel, and other special mine/engineering programs), and the second SSD for games and less demanding programs (office, benchmark/stress programs among others), and WD for storage, or should I make one RAID 0 of two SSDs (does will gain something) for the OS, all my programs and games, or to leave my SSD as individual drives and use it like I've described lines above. I'm aware of RAID 0 "danger" (if one drive fails, I'll lose all my info and data, and no RAID TRIM support for chipset series 6). Some Help Please. Thanks.

Edited by Smiki007

With drives of that size I'd do RAID 0 only if you really want to. The performance benefits are slim and the headaches are...sometimes extremely annoying.

With drives of that size I'd do RAID 0 only if you really want to. The performance benefits are slim and the headaches are...sometimes extremely annoying.

That's what I've heard as well.

If you RAID your SSDs in 0, you might get a slight speed increase, but not worth the hassle imo

First in answer to the title of the thread, few people NEED a RAID and no one needs a RAID 0. There are times when a RAID can be useful to ensure redundancy in mission critical systems however those setups tend to be very specific and the people using them know the need.

RAID 0 gained a lot of popularity with enthusiasts due to the benchmark numbers it can generate but in real life the performance gain is not nearly as useful as the numbers would indicate, especially with an SSD.

RAID 0 would be nice if you're doing video recording, but in your case you're SSDs would fill up quickly depending on your recording setting. A single SSD is enough to load video games faster, so no idea if doing RAID 0 SSDs for just games will improve much more.

Edited by AZNguyen

There are only two compelling reasons to utilize RAID0 with your SSDs;

1. Write speeds are mission critical.

2. You need to double your drive capacity because you already have one SSD and wanted to add another.

Otherwise you'll notice zero difference in day to day use of a RAID0 SSD array versus a standalone SSD.

There is another reason (but it's not compelling).... because you can  :)

There are only two compelling reasons to utilize RAID0 with your SSDs;

1. Write speeds are mission critical. Not a critical.

2. You need to double your drive capacity because you already have one SSD and wanted to add another. I have two SSDs of 256Gb each.

Otherwise you'll notice zero difference in day to day use of a RAID0 SSD array versus a standalone SSD.

There is another reason (but it's not compelling).... because you can   :) You're right about this. :)

Here are my SSDs Scores (single and RAID 0), looking at the single score I've realized that I don't need an RAID array.

AS_SSD_Plextor_PX256_M3.jpg

Edited by Smiki007