Should I crossfire on single 1080p?

I want to know if crossfiring two 7950s on a single 1080p display worth the extra money?

FYI, I can play pretty much anything, but not at maximum settings on a single 1080p. I did have to lower some settings on several games. TBH, I want to run any modern and upcoming titles at maximum settings without having to fiddle and balance which gfx settings to get a reasonable FPS. I think I would be happy playing at maximum settings on 1080p.

Edited by Stealth3si

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is prompting this upgrade? Are there games you can't run at full settings?

I have a 7870 and it is able to run everything on Ultra at 1080p at a decent framerate.

The games I had issues playing were Assassin's Creed 1, Crysis 2, Warhead and part 3, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell Conviction, Far Cry 3. They were dipping in the 30s on maximum settings @ 1080p. To improve the FPS to the mid 40s thru low 50s, I lowered some of the gfx settings like AA, shadows, postprocessing (if applicable,) occlusion, detail, geometry (where applicable), screen resolution, etc.

hmm thanks for all reply but after some careful thought i think I will skip crossfiring...IF any of the new 99xx cards can fit in my case and safely operate under my current PSU for $400 then i can see myself patiently waiting for an upgrade by the end of this year. I feel this would far outweigh the benefit of CFing in my particular situation. i.e., net expense differences between CFing and upgradiing to single GPU are marginal and CFing would make me reorganize the case because of the new PSU and mobo..ugh

Edited by Stealth3si

I am not sure why you are having an issue. I run a single 7950 and have yet to find a game that does not play smooth on my system. In fact I can push many games to 1440 with no lag.

I am not sure why you are having an issue. I run a single 7950 and have yet to find a game that does not play smooth on my system. In fact I can push many games to 1440 with no lag.

to be fair..the games in question noticeably lags only at certain parts of the game where there's lots of stuff on the screen all at once. Other than that, the rest of the game plays smooth.

What games have you tried? do you use preset or custom? do you max out every detail on custom?