wingspar

Win 7 Start Menu

Press the start button on keyboard and start typing the program name, until it appears and press enter. Far easier and faster than the old method

For Task Manager:

use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

or type 'taskmgr' into the start menu search and press enter

Whichever is faster for ya!

I find it much faster to simply RIGHT-CLICK the taskbar and choose "Star Task Manager" from there. 2 Clicks and you're done :)

As for the "fly-out menu", no it's not possible...at least not without third-party hacks.

I find it much faster to simply RIGHT-CLICK the taskbar and choose "Star Task Manager" from there. 2 Clicks and you're done :)

As for the "fly-out menu", no it's not possible...at least not without third-party hacks.

+1, I was going to say there's probably a small hack you could acquire to fix the program list to a more classic style.

I'm still a keyboard shortcut lover but I didn't know about the Task Manger from Taskbar. Nice!

Classic Shell is also be a good option to get the more traditional start menu back.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I personally use classicshell for Win8 and it made life great again (aka Win7 style with Win8 speed)

That ClassicShell looks nice.  Looks like it would remove a lot of the frustrations of the Win 7 Windows Explorer.  Anyone have any negatives about it, and can it be uninstalled without messing up Win 7?

I imagine just unintalling it would restore the normal shell but I'm very happy with it in Win8.