Need to set up a software VPN to monitor and manage F@H rigs

NCC10281982B

NOT HAMACHI!

I am working on building a F@H farm as many of you know. Some of the rigs will be in a different location. I am currently trying to use hamachi. It seems to have a maximum of 5 clients for an unmanaged VPN. I will have 4 rigs + my laptop on the network once I get things up and running.

I am trying to add the last rig (for the total of 5) and Hamachi will not let me do that. Thy seem to want to sell me a managed solution. I prefer not to spend $ if I can help it.

I need a plan B. I have heard of VPN servers and such but I have not worked with them. I have played with windows remote access server and routing and remote access but that was a decade ago.

Besides, the VPN server solution would probably make IP addressing for monitoring a bigger PITA then it already is

Thanks Guys!

Is this for windows machines? With systems in multiple locations you should look into the free edition of logmein. It won't give you very advanced features, but it would get you remote access without requiring anything complicated/cumbersome to set up.

For VPNs, check your router's admin page. Some of the more advanced routers have VPN functionality built in. Otherwise if you are running linux on one of those boxes (or have a RaspberryPi lying around) you can setup OpenVPN.

I'm not familar with Windows VPN Servers.