Sad state we live in

ccokeman

Had this sent to me today.  Just goes to show the bias you get from one side vs the other.

The Harley Biker

A Harley Biker is riding by the zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage.

Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch.

Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.'

The Harley rider replies, 'Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger and acted as I felt right.'

The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and
tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page... So, what do you do for a living and what political affiliation do you have?'

The biker replies, I'm a U.S. Marine and a Republican.

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH

...and THAT pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days...

Sad but true.

I swear that reporter lives right here.

Local republican part official was t-boned at a stop light by an undocumented hispanic and the paper read "Radical Republican kills immigrant in road rage incident"

I wouldn't go that far, but yes things are pretty biased.

Though this reminds me of the 'Atheist professor' joke:

A college professor, an avowed Atheist, was teaching his class.

He shocked several of his students when he flatly stated he was going to prove there was no God.

Addressing the ceiling he shouted: "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you 15 minutes!"

The lecture room fell silent. You could have heard a pin fall.

Ten minutes went by. Again he taunted God, saying, "Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."

His count-down got down to the last couple of minutes when a Marine - just released from active duty and newly registered in the class - walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face, and sent him tumbling from his lofty platform.

The professor was out cold! At first, the students were shocked and babbled in confusion. The young Marine took a seat in the front row and sat silent.

The class fell silent...waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to, shaken he looked at the young Marine in the front row. When the professor regained his senses and could speak he asked: "What's the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

"God was busy. He sent the Marines."

And here is parody of that joke:

http://i.imgur.com/SUfx6.png

Which I find much more humorous be cause there are people who have read it and not understood that it is satire.

Edited by Andrewr05

I agree that media organizations (and by association journalists) care about exposure.  But I think you paint a broad brush when you say that they "only" care about exposure.  Of course the money generated by exposure and readership, viewership, advertising revenue etc. is very important.  However media has always been influenced by agendas.  Political, social, economic, corporate, religious etc.  Always............

This agenda influence dates back to the earliest days of our republic.

The fact remains that the majority of main stream media organizations that exist today have a leftward leaning agenda.  The last survey of reporters (that I'm aware of) happened in the late 90s and at that time over 60% of professional journalists and newscasters identified themselves as "democrats".  About 1/2 of that percentage identified themselves as "republicans" and the remainder either refused to state political affiliation or identified themselves as independents.

Regardless, both the liberal and conservative main stream media organizations are guilty of journalistic reporting that skews the information towards their agenda or the agenda of their owners, shareholders, stakeholders etc.

That is why by and large the average public doesn't trust the news any more.  Even though I'm fairly conservative, I tire of the constant 24/7 conservative agenda pushed by Fox News.  I like to read, listen to and watch news that is as unbiased as possible.  News based on the facts and not on someone else's agenda.