Interesting Problem.

Psywar

On my desktop I have a 2Ch Pair of Logitech speakers and I have my Senn. Headphones.

Well in order for both of these to be hooked up at the same time I added a (Y) 3MM Headphone jack adapter to the back of the PC so I could run both units off of the only output port.

It turns out with it hooked up like this I can speak into my headphones and they act as a microphone. I can hear myself in my Logitech 2ch speakers.

I can however still hear music clearly and perfectly out of my Senn. Headphones.

2 questions..

Why is it doing this?

Will this hurt my headphones?

Thanks!

My guess would be your Y splitter is connecting your headphones with your speakers electrically, and then when amplified enough,

the headphones can work in reverse enabling you to hear your voice through the speakers.

So I'm assuming your 2ch logitech's got some sort of amplifying circuit in them. 

If that's not the case then maybe your 3.5mm plug has both headphone and mic functionality?

Oh and hey I'm new at OCC, been lurking this site for the past 4-5 years and finally I decided to act and register.

Looking forward to knowing you people at OCC!

Edited by Mara

Hrmm.. Interesting thought. The 2Ch speakers should have some sort of amp built-in since there is a subwoofer attached.

Welcome to OCC! This is an awesome community full of great people! I am positive you will continue to enjoy it as a registered member!

Thanks!  :thx:

By the way ( a little off topic sorry) , I just got a great idea from your problem,

I have a friend that has no microphone at the moment but has speakers and small iPod earphones, so no way of using skype, teamspeak etc.

So I thought to myself "Let's test that theory of small speakers working in reverse when amplified", telling my friend to plug the iPod earphones into the mic jack,

and the speakers in the way they're supposed to.. and it WORKED! :doh:

It sounds like he's calling from outer space with a landline phone made out of wood but it still works!

So speakers are designed to output sound and microphones to receive and transmit it,

but they work great in reverse when amplified enough, next up yelling into my subwoofer plugged into a mic jack  :teehee:

edit. spelling

Edited by Mara