Replace CMOS battery without losing settings?

I googled this and a few comments were "if you change the battery in under ten seconds you wont lose the settings"

Another comment was  "The settings will last a couple of minutes"

Have any of you people changed a CMOS battery this way? Without using the jumper?  and without losing your good settings?

I've never changed one like that, but when I was trying to clear cmos settings I would usually leave the battery out for around 30 seconds. It should be ok if you get it changed quick. There is some residual voltage in the memory array.

You have the chance of dropping the battery in power supply.

Or you have the chance to drop it on printed circuits of add on boards. Like graphics card and sound cards.

And the like.

I've also changed them with the PC running. I just slid a piece of paper under it to catch it should I drop it.

The battery is only there to supply power to the circuit when the PSU isnt. so if the rig is running you're good if you pop the battery.

Okay then. I have all the answers I need.  If I can change it safely (and lazily) I will.  If it looks to iffy, I'll do it the normal way and reset my settings.

I can see it is user beware.

Thanks guys!

You could always just take pictures of your settings and then re input them after changing the battery. Which brings up the question of are you already having problems or is this a preventive measure?

I can't ever seem to get a battery out without dropping it.  You guys must have better fine muscle control than me  :)

Frank  - you must be bored this morning.  I can't remember the last time I've seen so many posts from you in such a short period of time!

:)

For the risk to reward ratio - I'd take the time to write down my settings and then power down to remove the battery myself.  Seems silly to risk x# of dollars trying to take a quick trip shortcut.