Real Temp Version 3.70 Turbo States

wevsspot

Hey guys / gals. I wanted to give everyone a heads up. After a recent installation of Windows 7 on a couple new SSDs, I ran into a problem with our overclock seemingly not "sticking".

I knew that all of the BIOS settings and Windows 7 Power Plan options were correctly configured, but for the world of me I couldn't figure out why the cpu frequency was stuck at 3.5Ghz.

I reset the BIOS, re-flashed the BIOS, tried every Windows 7 Power Plan, but no matter what the 3770K was stuck at a multiplier of x35.

I walked back every package and app I had installed and carefully considered any that might be affecting the overclock. I even uninstalled and re-installed the Intel Management Interface driver package. Still no luck.

Then by chance I took Real Temp out of my startup items, rebooted and behold - multiplier correctly reflecting what was set in the BIOS (x44 all cores).

Apparently Real Temp version 3.70 comes pre-configured to disable Intel Turbo Boost. In order to rectify the problem either dump Real Temp, or de-select the "Disable Turbo" in the options menu of Real Temp.

After clearing the "Disable Turbo" check, shut down and restart Real Temp. Now open up the configuration file in the Real Temp application folder, scroll down and find "Disable Turbo". Make sure that the value is set for zero.

Reboot and confirm that changes stuck.

Anyone else notice this?

Sorry about the font............. and white text highlighting.  Not sure what is going on with that.

Tried to clean it up a little bit.  Yes it is a stupid feature.  I made further inquiries and was told that they incorporated this feature for laptop, notebook, netbook users who wanted to reduce power consumption and heat.  Idiotic - how many of those users do you think actually install a 3rd party temperature monitoring application?

I don't understand the reasoning at all. Nobody should EVER change something completely unrelated to the function of a program.

I can just imagine the thousands of users suddenly would wondering why their computer feels slow all of the sudden...I wouldn't even think to check a temp program.

Don't feel bad, I had the exact same issue awhile back. :wacko:  And went through the same process trying to fix issue, I like Real Temp but feel the disable turbo should be a option that the user needs to choose in order to disable, it also affects HT on older P4 chips.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced the same issue.  I like RealTemp too.  They do a good job of keeping it updated to support the latest processors and platforms, the readings are fairly accurate and it is pretty configurable.

The only two things I see they need to fix is;

1. Turn off that Turbo Disable feature by default on installation

2. Add an option to Autostart with Windows instead of having to drop the executable into the startup folder

For anyone looking for a pretty cool customer version of RealTemp, check this one out;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition