ClayMeow

Watch Dogs

Nope, just checked. I have it set to auto, which has it at ~16GB on its own (which is odd because it says 24GB recommended. good job, Windows).

Is there a reason this game won't use more than 2GB of RAM for me? I'm sitting here with the game running and I'm only using 36% of my memory. Why on Earth wouldn't they program the game to cache in the memory rather than the HDD? That's why it's frickin there!!!!

Make a shortcut to your watch_dogs exe and add " -disablepagefilecheck" to your target after "

The above should help

I'm actually using that currently, as a matter of fact. The memory usage remained unchanged regardless if I had that or not.

I do not use that flag, so sadly no surprise that it wouldn't help your issue.

Clay do you have Pagefile enabled in Windows at all ? I know it is quite commonplace for users with 16Gb+ Ram to disable it completely to speed things up, and I also have it disabled.

Pagefile enabled or disabled on my 16GB system the game uses ~2.3GB of memory on high settings.  I just installed on my laptop so I guess I'll try there next, just need to hope the savegame transfers properly unlike when I tried to get it working between the two desktops.

My son is running a i5 2500k, sapphire HD 6950 graphics card, 8 gb ram (no oc on anything). When hit "enter" to play the game his cpu hits 100% and he gets the blue screen. We will try to update his graphics card tonight but I don't think thats it. Any idea what the problem could be? 

Sorry guys for the triple post.

If he didn't got the game legally (downloaded from piratebay and the sort), he has now a malware on his pc due to a false crack released.

If he did bought the game through u-play or physical media, you should check if the pc has any viruses that could cause this to happen as it is not a normal response for the pc to do that.

If it comes out clean, contact support of Ubisoft and see if they can do anything for you.

Thank you Warweeny. We pre-ordered e few weeks ago. But a virus is possible. Sometimes I hate to think of what he does on his comp. Thank you again

Is there a reason this game won't use more than 2GB of RAM for me? I'm sitting here with the game running and I'm only using 36% of my memory. Why on Earth wouldn't they program the game to cache in the memory rather than the HDD? That's why it's frickin there!!!!

Make a shortcut to your watch_dogs exe and add " -disablepagefilecheck" to your target after "

The above should help

I'm actually using that currently, as a matter of fact. The memory usage remained unchanged regardless if I had that or not.

I do not use that flag, so sadly no surprise that it wouldn't help your issue.

Clay do you have Pagefile enabled in Windows at all ? I know it is quite commonplace for users with 16Gb+ Ram to disable it completely to speed things up, and I also have it disabled.

Pagefile enabled or disabled on my 16GB system the game uses ~2.3GB of memory on high settings.  I just installed on my laptop so I guess I'll try there next, just need to hope the savegame transfers properly unlike when I tried to get it working between the two desktops.

Well, there goes my idea. I was sitting at work thinking about how I didn't have page file enabled and wondering if that was my issue. So much for that...

We blew out the inside of my son's computer and updated all the drivers and now it runs. The setting are on low, the cpu is almost maxed out but it runs. Today was the last day of school for my boy and he smilling from ear to ear. I think its time for a new build.

We blew out the inside of my son's computer and updated all the drivers and now it runs. The setting are on low, the cpu is almost maxed out but it runs. Today was the last day of school for my boy and he smilling from ear to ear. I think its time for a new build.

That's a good father right there ;)

Glad you got it somewhat sorted out!

The specs are fine, maybe you could try and re-install windows.

Nothing beats a nice clean windows installation if you have any problems with it.

Yeah this game is full of strange things but I THOUGH I had found something to make me overly joyed when I managed to do this

egcwtg.jpg

That is until I jumped in the truck and went to drive off and the car was anchored in place causing it to just fall off the truck  :pfp:

Overall the game play is actually pretty good, and because of that I'm OK with the graphical quality not being the best thing ever but I'm NOT OK with it running like a turd.  With the game looking like that I get under 40 fps most of the time I'm going any real speed in a car on this rig (screenshot taken while driving btw)

egv5s7.jpg

And occasionally I'll get a weird graphical glitch...or two like in this one

2nao1e9.jpg

The red shows how it likes to render road decals above world objects occasionally (So nice lines of the road across the hood of the car) Green idk wtf was going on, it only did that on the windshield of this car as you can see the blue  is normal. 

Overall I DO enjoy the game and I think it's worth buying at a lower than asking price even with the issues (and at a full $59.99 if it ran well all the time) but things like depending on the cover system to keep me form being killed really suck when it sprints to the wrong cover (doesn't always confirm the location you're going to run to) though I can't think of a cover system that I DO like so I'll let this one slide.  

As you may have noticed I was using a 360 controller for that last screenshot (actually during all these) I tend to swap back a forth between KB/Mouse (anytime I might need to shoot at someone) and 360 Controller (anytime I might need to drive) and I have to say the game does an excellent job switching between the two.  It changes on screen prompts as soon as you give it input from the alternate device. With that said I play like this because I prefer to, but the game actually can be 100% played with either control option without issue.  Not being a fps and focusing more on stealth I can shoot fine with the controller (something I'm terrible at) and the cars are only slightly worse with WASD but it's mostly forgiving and you'll have more issue with framerate drops than controls. 

EDIT:

Here's the usage on my laptop, ultra texture settings but otherwise same as the GTX 670 (runs the same too but it has 8 freakin' GB of video memory). For system memory usage it's ~2.6GB based on system memory usage after closing the game.

2i27daf.jpg

Edited by cchalogamer

That's a beast of a laptop! How's the game run on there? Any issues with the stuttering? Or does 8GB of VRAM totally overcompensate?

Nice to know I'm not the only person having issues with this game, though.

The game "only" uses around 2.8GB of video ram but the stutter is still there, it's the least noticeable on my laptop vs any other system I've got but it's still there.  From looking at a 780 Ti vs 290X comparison video while the 780 Ti with low enough settings nearly fixes it the stutter is STILL there.  The 290X looks just like mine all over the damn place (though they had vsync on so none of the really high spikes) Let me see if I can find that video again...

Found it