crossfire x problems

ok the issue is this: i have a pair of xfx 7970's that work wonderfully and perform as designed in single mode, but as soon as i click on crossfire x in ccc the bottom one stops cooling because the fan stops spinning, doesn't matter which card, they both do it...i've tried switching them around, swapping their position on the mobo, swapping the cables, but nothing keeps both fans turning under crossfire x,..i'm gonna go into bios and check if there is a pcie setting that needs to be changed, but barring that or a driver issue i'm at a loss,....

spec are in sig, latest bios and drivers, and i've tried in both win7, win 8 and win 8.1, all the same thing...i'm open to all ideas and suggestions

thanx occ

Hey CJ,

That is not your board or crossfire problems. Any linked GPU/Card/adapter will power down when not under load/2D mode to 2.7 Watts and only needs passive cooling. It's called Zero-core and it's pretty cool.

Don't feel bad, it freaked out some reviewers as well...(not me of course, I'm too thorough  :rolleyes: )

anyway, any card other than the first will spin down until put under some sort of load.

Crossfire away! 

Hey CJ,

That is not your board or crossfire problems. Any linked GPU/Card/adapter will power down when not under load/2D mode to 2.7 Watts and only needs passive cooling. It's called Zero-core and it's pretty cool.

Don't feel bad, it freaked out some reviewers as well...(not me of course, I'm too thorough  :rolleyes: )

anyway, any card other than the first will spin down until put under some sort of load.

Crossfire away! 

ok red, i didn't know this because it's been a little while since my last crossfire setup, but what i just found out right now from trying it out is that when started up metro last light in steam the fan started spinning up again...so yea, i guess i found out what you just told me..."on the job training" ....shoot at first i thot i had a bunk card and even registered it at xfx for a service ticket...so now i have to go back and tell them ooops nevermind, it's not a bad card after all, it's just i'm a bobo and don't know waht the hell i'm doing....

zero core, ok,...well that's news to me...

is there any way to get around it and keep the fans running all the time ??

I'm not sure why you would want them spinning when not under load. I have never heard of a card burning up as a result of Zero Core.

That aside, I don't remember if setting manual fan in Trixx or MSI Afterburner overrides it or not. 

I'm not sure why you would want them spinning when not under load. I have never heard of a card burning up as a result of Zero Core.

That aside, I don't remember if setting manual fan in Trixx or MSI Afterburner overrides it or not. 

:thx: well now i'm feeling retarded, :blush:  but at least my stuff's not burning up,...whew :lol:

Hehe,

Don't. Zero Core got past a lot of people and caught them by surprise (the corresponding freaking out) that the cards were going to burn up. Just start a game about 25 times and listen to them spin up :happy:   It's kind of a disconcerting feeling to here the colling solution come to a flying halt until you get used to it. If you monitor the temps though, They do not rise at all in zero-Core. they are basically shut down so there are no Watts to dissipate.

You can disable ULPS by using Sapphires TriXX utility or some registry modification. Both options work but TriXX is easier.

hehehe, hell yea frank, sapphire trixx ftw ! they're moving the air they're supposed to now !! that's what i like,....get that warm air outta da box,...that's does the trixx !!

The manual fan control in Afterburner should let you set a minimum fan speed, regardless of the clock. Afterburner also lets you set the 2D and 3D profiles which may help, but they may not. Never had much luck with them, and the idle clocks (what I call zero core) is something different.

You may know this already, but I'll go through what I know for anyone else that may read this. GPUs for years have had at least two clock sets; one for 3D applications, like games, and another for 2D applications, like the OS and video. The 2D clocks are lower so the card is cooler and draws less power. Can't remember if it was AMD or nVidia that introduced the idle clock, but it is still lower than the 2D clocks. For example my GTX 570 has a 3D clock of 797 MHz (should be 850 though, so I'm going to have to mess with that), a 2D clock of 405, and an idle clock of 51. (My GTS 250 for comparison had a 3D clock of 675 MHz and a 2D clock of 300, but no idle clock, so it never dropped below 300.)

So, those 2D and 3D profiles, I believe are meant to force certain clocks under the scenarios that would use the 2D and 3D clocks I mentioned. Only time I ever used them though they did not work, but then I was having a lot of problems with the drivers getting stuck at the 2D clocks then, so Afterburner may have been powerless to do anything.

You can disable ULPS by using Sapphires TriXX utility or some registry modification. Both options work but TriXX is easier.

hehehe, hell yea frank, sapphire trixx ftw ! they're moving the air they're supposed to now !! that's what i like,....get that warm air outta da box,...that's does the trixx !!

CJ,

I think you might be missing one crucial point though. While forcing constant voltage (keeping the GPU's in a boost state of 300Mhz) yes they are moving air, however they are moving heat "out of the box" that would not otherwise be created in the first place with zeroCore in tact. ZeroCore is in practical terms turning the unneeded GPU's OFF while not in use. In other words they are not creating any heat that needs to be moved. When you force a boost state, they are literally using 10 x the energy (and heat) they would if ZeroCore is working.

I would suggest a little experiment. Let zerocore do its thing and watch the temps of your GPU's while in an idle state. Now force the power state that you are talking about that keeps the fans on and see which is lower (never mind the energy savings and noise reduction.  ) Make note of the temp of the ZeroCore GPU and then open GPU-Z (this turns on ZeroCore GPU's) and watch the temp of the second card with 300MHz P-state.

You will find that the ZeroCore active linked adapter will be much cooler than the forced P-state version. 

This (if I am understanding your implication correctly) You are solving a problem that does not need to exist in the first place. 

Anywho, Since ZeroCore caught you off guard. I wanted to make sure you understood what the deal was with it. And what your options are.

A couple things to check out.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7970_review,3.html

Red, Zero core is nice as a technology but so far it has been finicky and does not always spool up the second card fully or if at all in each of the last 10 driver revisions I have tested. It will shut the card down but the implementation of it is in itself troublesome just like the rest of the driver package, It in my eyes is currently broken just like CrossfireX. 

Disableing ULPS will eliminate the Zero Core shutdown and in the end give the user a better gaming experience and more consistent performance with fewer worries as far as heat load and scaling.