Watch what you say online...

Black64

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/03/tech/social-media/facebook-teen-jail/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So far he spent 4 months in jail with a bond of $500,000 and is facing years in prison. For a comment he said on Facebook. I agree the comment posted is very messed up and was at the wrong time. But no evidence was found in his house nor intent to go though with his threat. 

I still think it went to far, just for a comment to be put in jail and a huge bond. What do you guys and gals think?

Edited by Black64

well thats an easy way to get a new home lol.

you dont even have to commit an actual crime, just say some disturbing stuff on facebook and voila a new home is comming to you!

they should market this to homeless people.

He is an idiot for posting something like that. A threat is a threat no matter where or how it is said, and it is not the first time an online comment gets someone in trouble. Maybe if more people had IQ's higher then room temperature it wouldn't happen as often.

No remorse here.

True, he was stupid for posting something like that. It was "distasteful and thoughtless" as the article says. I do think it went to far. It was clearly a joke and jokes like these go around everyday on every social networking site. I mean, people make threats all the time on XBox Live and PSN! It's the internet. Still, it was idiotic of him to say that. Just be careful what you pt out on the internet. It could get you put in prison with a $500,000 fine.

-trixter108

We are constantly  warning people on our show that what you say on the internet will never go away and can often end up being hurtful to your future if you go to far.

• 2 weeks later...

So people are cool with him being punished for being sarcastic?

Cant belive some people think this can be taken for a real threat after he said lol, and jk which are pretty universal terms in this day in age.

Edited by damian

Anyone who really believe he was serious is an idiot. While going a bit too far it's something that a lot of people could say in the heat of the moment. Thank God I don't live in the land of the free

Also, this is why the internet needs a sarcastic font.

We are constantly warning people on our show that what you say on the internet will never go away and can often end up being hurtful to your future if you go to far.

Do you really think this response was appropriate?

All that SHOULD have been done was a quick drop by by the cops to ask a few questions if some really felt it was a serious threat. Anything more than that is lunacy.