OC guidance - ASRock Z87 Mobo

Luke08

Hey gang,

It's been about 5 years since I built a new system.  I just put together the system below.  I'm seeking some advice on working with the ASRock mobo for doing some mild OC.  I'm not a seasoned OCer but have done some mild OCs on my previous systems.

I'm new to these new BIOS, but within the bios of the ASRock z87, I've done the following to OC it:

1. navigate to OC Tweaker tab

2. changed 'Load optimized CPU OC' to 4.0  (default is disabled for no OC)

This OC runs completely stable after several hours of prime95.

When I try to go in and push the same setting to 4.2, my system hangs within seconds of launching prime95.  My temps were in the mid-50s at the time it hung (monitored on hwmonitor).

So here's the real question: Do I need to separately adjust the voltages on the OC Tweaker tab or does the 'Load optimized CPU OC' setting take care of it?

I do see the below settings on the OC Tweaker tab:

CPU Voltage Mode:  Adaptive Mode     (Add voltage to CPU when the system is under heavy load)

CPU Adaptive Voltage: .020                  (Configure the voltage added to the CPU when the system is under heavy load)

My best guess right now is to increase Adaptive Voltage, but thought I'd ask here first.  If this correct, any suggestions on what to bump it to?

Thanks,

Luca

New system build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - OEM ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 550D ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Bronze 620W ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive:  LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM ($17.99 @ Newegg)