Sign in to follow this  
Onion

Got my work papers - where should I apply?

I'm finally on the way to getting my green card (was on a visa for a relative of someone holding a work visa). Today, I got a temporary card saying I can work with my tax info and everything, so I can now get a job. What are some good places to work? Don't really care about benefits, I just care about liking my job and how well it pays. I know I'm gonna get paid crap, but I'd still like to get paid higher crap than minimum wage crap. I like cars, I like tech stuff including phones, and I think I could be a pretty good salesman. I've got my high school diploma of course, and I've got the CompTIA A+ certification. Any recommendations? So far my options are T-Mobile/AT&T store, Best Buy, CompUSA, and possibly AutoZone/Advanced Auto Parts. I'd rather not work at McDonalds and that kind of thing, but if I have to, I will. 

You are not going to start higher than minimum wage unless your a straight up genius with connections. There are literally millions of high school graduates looking for jobs. You might move up quick, if your lucky, but you wont start high.

And the fun jobs usually have sucky pay.

But good luck.

And if you prove me wrong.... I will hate you!

lol jk

Target is decent work. Pay isn't great but it's 50 cents or so over minimum IIRC. Make sure you mention you know electronics well and are headed to college...I got hired before I even finished the application that way. :lol:

You are not going to start higher than minimum wage unless your a straight up genius with connections. There are literally millions of high school graduates looking for jobs. You might move up quick, if your lucky, but you wont start high.

And the fun jobs usually have sucky pay.

But good luck.

And if you prove me wrong.... I will hate you!

I've got a bunch of people that can leave glowing recommendations, so maybe I have a chance at it. :lol: And I like to think I'm a better choice as an employee than those OG YOLO SWAG idiots. 

Target is decent work. Pay isn't great but it's 50 cents or so over minimum IIRC. Make sure you mention you know electronics well and are headed to college...I got hired before I even finished the application that way. :lol:

Good idea, I've always liked target, and there's one right next to where I live in Jacksonville. And yeah, that's pretty much what I focused my resume on, hopefully its that easy for me too. :lol: Here are some of the ways I've "embellished" the things I've done in my resume... 

Ensured Integrity of all Computer System Security Measures

Intercepted Malicious Attack Attempts onto Company Machines

Performed Hardware and Software Upgrades to Ensure Maximum Operating Capacity of all Machines

why not apply at the cia or nsa,...i hear they have an amazing advancement programs, and it seems the sky's the limit if you know cell phones, computers, software and hardware, and you're willing to maintain the status quo and hold your mud...

why not apply at the cia or nsa,...i hear they have an amazing advancement programs, and it seems the sky's the limit if you know cell phones, computers, software and hardware, and you're willing to maintain the status quo and hold your mud...

And they like immigrants too. Especially if your are Muslim.

lol, good one cj

lol, good one cj

Awesome, I'm set for the CIA and NSA! Except I'm not Muslim. 

Apply everywhere, it took me a year and a half to get my first job. It's a very tough job market right now.

Apply everywhere, it took me a year and a half to get my first job. It's a very tough job market right now.

That's what I've noticed. There are literally no openings anywhere. I just submitted my application to Autozone, hopefully they take me, its right down the street from my house. 

:withstupid:

lol, good one cj

sho yo right homie ! (knuckle bump)