Sign in to follow this  
rocketeer55

Hard drive acting stupid and slow

Hey guy, I haven't posted on here for a while. :D

In my current rig I have a Western Digital Black 2TB drive. I let my parents use this computer for about a year without me really checking on it, and when I was finally allowed to put it in my room, it was way slower than before. So I reinstalled windows, and I noticed that occasionally my hard drive went through fits where it read and wrote data incredibly slowly. I am using this hard drive as a second storage drive, and my SSD is my main boot drive. When it's in one of its fits, I can hear it read data twice, then pause for a second, then read, then pause for a second... until it finally works full speed again, which can be anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour later. I've tried plugging in the hard drive to different slots in my motherboard (right now it's in the hot-swap bay on the top so I can hear it better) (and yes these are plugged into different controllers on the motherboard).Restarting my computer when it's in a fit doesn't always solve the problem. I can sometimes solve it by trying to play a large audio or video file on the hard drive, but it takes awhile.

One thing I think I might do is I never fully wiped it. I just "formatted" it, which took 5 seconds. That means it's not really wiped, right? Should I try that? If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to tell me. I'll try anything :P

Btw; I don't know if it's still under warranty, but I'm willing to send it in and get a new one if that's the only way.

Yep, says it's having errors with reading the drive. I'll see if it's still under warranty. First hard drive to die on me, ever. Even my 15 year old computer's 12GB hard drive still works.

Edited by rocketeer55

Definitely RMA the drive.  I'd also recommend doing a full reformat before returning it to make sure none of your previous data is easily accessible.  After a full reformat, you might also take a minute and re-run the diagnostics test to make sure the drive is going to register as defective when they receive it.

That is one reason I tend to use the WD Black drives exclusively.

Yeah, very few mechanical drives comes up with 5 year warranty. Actually, I think it's only WD Black. Even newer WD reds have only 3 years of warranty.

I don't trust my decade old collection of music, video, photos, important documents, email backup etc. to anything but WD Black drives.  Two of them (one stored offsite).

I don't trust my decade old collection of music, video, photos, important documents, email backup etc. to anything but WD Black drives.  Two of them (one stored offsite).

OT: Personally I use 1TB Seagate drives in RAID1 mode to store connections, very important documents.

I've 4 such array in total.

Edit: My bad, it's RAID1. I mistyped.

Edited by d6bmg

Personally I wouldn't recommend a RAID0 array for storing important files.  If you are going to use a RAID array for that, it should be a redundant array, not a performance array.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a RAID0 array for storing important files. If you are going to use a RAID array for that, it should be a redundant array, not a performance array.

This. RAID 0 with 4 drives is begging for failure.