Xbox One

bp9801

the new xbox does play used games without an extra fee btw.

if you buy a game and install it, registered it and are done with it and sell it to another person, when that person is installing it thi thier hdd yours becomes invalid and basically is just a bunch of useless data.

*link*

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

Edited by WarWeeny

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On our show this weekend Doug and I were discussing the Xbox One and we noted something no one else seems to be talking about. The fact that you will have an always on, internet connected HD camera with low light capabilities and microphone active in your living room or whatever room you put your game system in. This has the potential to be a privacy hack nightmare. Seriously how long until hackers figure out how to get into the system and stream you video over the internet. Might not be that big of a deal of seeing the family eating in the living room but what about the nights alone getting freaky with bubble wrap? I think you know what I mean. I am amazed that no one else wants to talk about this. BTW we tried to get MS to speak with us on this and they would not return calls or emails on this matter.

No offense, but the reason nobody points that out is that are a lot more negatives to be discussed than your rather pointless one.

First off, it's not been confirmed that it'll be always-on. In fact, the latest bit of info is simply that it connects once a day as a DRM measure for their new "anti-used game" policy. But even that has been vague...it may actually wind up being like Blizzard's Battle.Net DRM, wherein you have to connect once every 30 days (for SC2, not for D3 or WoW, which are always-on).

Regardless, your issue is pointless because even if it is always-on, it would be no different than PCs with webcams, except that the XBOne will be harder to hack than a PC. Now you'll probably make the argument that not every PC has a webcam, but I guarantee you there are more webcams than XBOnes when it comes to sheer numbers.

But you probably already understand all this, yet you want to make a big deal about it because nobody else is, proven by your egotistical "Computer Ed Radio again ahead of the curve" comment.

if you buy a game and install it, registered it and are done with it and sell it to another person, when that person is installing it thi thier hdd yours becomes invalid and basically is just a bunch of useless data.

*link*

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

There are a lot of conflicting statements by MS on this. Hopefully they clear it up at E3.

On our show this weekend Doug and I were discussing the Xbox One and we noted something no one else seems to be talking about. The fact that you will have an always on, internet connected HD camera with low light capabilities and microphone active in your living room or whatever room you put your game system in. This has the potential to be a privacy hack nightmare. Seriously how long until hackers figure out how to get into the system and stream you video over the internet. Might not be that big of a deal of seeing the family eating in the living room but what about the nights alone getting freaky with bubble wrap? I think you know what I mean. I am amazed that no one else wants to talk about this. BTW we tried to get MS to speak with us on this and they would not return calls or emails on this matter.

That's a good point actually. Also, the fact the Xbox One will run a Windows kernel poses the question; will hackers be able to exploit the Windows kernel to interact with the system itself? If that is the case, will there be any AntiVirus capabilities on the system itself?

Now though is the question why NONE of the mainstream outlets pointed this out? Computer Ed Radio again ahead of the curve...

Just to knock you off your soapbox even further, here are some "mainstream outlets" writing about the privacy issue:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353580/kinect-always-listening-on-xbox-one-privacy-is-a-top-priority

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening

And MS actually responded to The Verge because they are mainstream.

*link*

There are a lot of conflicting statements by MS on this. Hopefully they clear it up at E3.

There's a lot of stuff MS needs to clear up at E3 since the unveil was so vague.

No offense, but the reason nobody points that out is that are a lot more negatives to be discussed than your rather pointless one.

First off, it's not been confirmed that it'll be always-on. In fact, the latest bit of info is simply that it connects once a day as a DRM measure for their new "anti-used game" policy. But even that has been vague...it may actually wind up being like Blizzard's Battle.Net DRM, wherein you have to connect once every 30 days (for SC2, not for D3 or WoW, which are always-on).

Regardless, your issue is pointless because even if it is always-on, it would be no different than PCs with webcams, except that the XBOne will be harder to hack than a PC. Now you'll probably make the argument that not every PC has a webcam, but I guarantee you there are more webcams than XBOnes when it comes to sheer numbers.

But you probably already understand all this, yet you want to make a big deal about it because nobody else is, proven by your egotistical "Computer Ed Radio again ahead of the curve" comment.

Actually the camera and mic are always on and MS has said as much. Next you are correct about webcams and the potential being there for the same thing. However in the case of web cams they can be turned off, they are not a required part of the system for it to be functional.

I invested far more time in my XBox 360 than my PS3.  I definitely prefer the online segment on XBL more as I find the competition to be more stout.

Thooooooooough, no interest in the XBone at this time.  In fact, I might even consider the Wii U if the library could grow past Zombie U.

I invested far more time in my XBox 360 than my PS3.  I definitely prefer the online segment on XBL more as I find the competition to be more stout.

Thooooooooough, no interest in the XBone at this time.  In fact, I might even consider the Wii U if the library could grow past Zombie U.

I honestly stopped using my 360 over the last couple years. I play a couple games on it from time to time, but I went nearly a year between actually turning it on. I did just recently cancel XBL Gold too, so now I don't need to waste money on something I barely use.

My PS3, on the other hand, sees uses pretty much every day. Movies, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and games get their turn on it. Add in PS+ to basically earn back the $50/yr price in a month and that's about all I really need in terms of consoles.