5800K Overclock help

+1 on upgrading stock cooler,.. Before overclocking & running Prime 95. :slap:    The 5800K does vary well with a decent cooler.

Edited by Braegnok

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay maybe I should edit the first post so that people are on track here. The title of this thread is a bit misleading now.

I'll try and sum up what problem I'm having. Here we go.

I initially wanted to overclock it, checked bios setting, there was no option for manual voltage increments but instead an offset mode.

Not knowing exactly what this is, I left alone everything and increased my multiplier so that it is +100MHz from stock.

Booted to windows, checked the temps and WOW too high. I try F5 which is revert to optimized default. Instead, it increases clock to 4.3GHz. I clear CMOS and try again, no go.

Realizing something is wrong, I forefit any kind of hope for overclocking and hope that it has decent temps at STOCK settings. Unfortunately, stock settings temps were way too high at load and idle. (45C idle, 89C load, TJ MAX 74C )

I undervolt to 1.25v - 1.35v from whatever the stock was. Temps are better, but still way too dangerous when fully loaded (72-74C)

Even at this voltage, it gives error in Prime95, but at least it does not crash right away or the temps are crazy high.

Bios is updated, chipset is updated, graphics driver is updated, all peripherals are updated, fans are all on, stock heatsink is seated properly with stock thermal paste. I am away from home atm so I cannot put my AC5 on, which is at home.

So I have concluded that either something is broken, or the stock heatsink is no where near as good as it should be to keep this CPU running STABLE at STOCK settings which is SAD. Again, I am not trying to OC anything here, I am just trying to get this thing running stable and cooler than its TJ MAX at load.

Mostly, I want to know why in the world I can't get manual vcore settings out of this new Asus bios.

Edited by nickk47

Just the basic 2 fans. Immaculate cable management. Tried reseating the heatsink already :(

I'm in a basement, case is on top of a desk, room temperature is colder than the average room.

I went ahead and ordered H60. It should cool it right down. Maybe I just got a bad one, to the already poorly designed stock one that cannot dissipate 100w TDP. Still cant believe im spending 71 bucks after shipping and tax for a 129 dollar cpu. Haha this was suppose to be a sub 700 build but not anymore XD

Edited by nickk47

Have you tried disabling C6 state? I have a 3850 and wasn't stable until I disable that thing. I could use OCCT for as long as I would like, if I played a game or watched Youtube or WebTV, I would crash as soon as they ended buffering. I too got the voltage down to about 1.26 from 1.44, AMD are insane with such voltages.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will be adding another fan top as an exhaust too, I'm sure this will help a bunch. I already jumped the gun on the aftermarket cooling!

I'll try turning off C6 state too.

I still really want to know 1) how to disable Turbo core in my Asus bios, and 2) Ability to switch to manual vcore mode instead of offset vcore mode.

Anyone with the same board, screenshots or something would be greatly appreciated. Either I am blind or it does not exist!

I would say your major problem is the stock amd cooler, that cpu raises mhz and voltages automatically when it is under any load and prime is 100% full load on every core so the high temps do not surprise me.

I would say your major problem is the stock amd cooler, that cpu raises mhz and voltages automatically when it is under any load and prime is 100% full load on every core so the high temps do not surprise me.

It was doing the same thing at stock clock. Well over its specified TJ Max. I built 2 systems for my friends with the FM1 series APUs because they were so cost effective. I hope their systems are doing okay. Haven't heard from them in a while.

A lil update, I contacted Asus and apparently, the F2A85-V BIOS does not have the option for manual mode for vcore setting, while the F2A85-V Pro does. What a bummer, oh well. I read up on offset overclocking and it does not sound bad. I wonder why they would remove that feature for the non-pro version :(

Also, they recommended me to turn off C6 and PowerNow, which are both power saving features, and CPB is actually the name for Turbo Core in the BIOS. So I turned that off too. I'll give an update on my overclock as soon as my cooler arrives.

A lil update, I contacted Asus and apparently, the F2A85-V BIOS does not have the option for manual mode for vcore setting, while the F2A85-V Pro does. What a bummer, oh well. I read up on offset overclocking and it does not sound bad. I wonder why they would remove that feature for the non-pro version :(

Also, they recommended me to turn off C6 and PowerNow, which are both power saving features, and CPB is actually the name for Turbo Core in the BIOS. So I turned that off too. I'll give an update on my overclock as soon as my cooler arrives.

ah crud,....sorry bout the bios nick..