FX 6300 worthwhile upgrade from a Phenom II?

potatochobit

is an FX6300 a good upgrade from a phenom II?

I was planning to upgrade my gaming rig next year, but is there a worthwhile CPU for 140$ or less?

I am also planning to build a NAS home network storage

I could then use the phenom II in the NAS, or would that be silly overkill?

The main thing I use my windows PC for is video games and video file encoding

I know an intel is much better right now but the cheapest I saw an i5 was 180$ and that is no-go

the passmark score was 6439 on the FX6300, that seems really good compared to phenom IIs though it is probably all due to multithreads

I noticed FX 6350 just came out

think this will overclock higher since it uses a higher TDP 125w?

Edited by potatochobit

I wouldn't say it'd be worth it IMHO, on the majority of uses I would think a good PhenII would be comparable to an FX6000

Intel is still worth it, you get what you pay for. I went from a X6 1090T to an xeon (i7-970) and didn't look back.

I'd love a 970 but they're still so overpriced....how much did you get that Xeon version for??

Not worth it this generation. I'm still using my 1100t because I dont think there is enough benefit in it. For myself I Will either wait for next gen AMD or switch back to Intel.

If you were going to upgrade to Piledriver then I would look at the 8350.

I wouldn't bother. The FX chip is technically a small step up but if you're dumping money on a new board, RAM, and CPU you might as well go mid-range Intel and be far better off in terms of speed and power consumption IMO.

I think you would have a good noticeable improvement upgrading.  I upgraded recently, going from my x4 940 to an i5-3570k and there is a very good performance gain.  

I wouldn't go with the fx-6 core though.  Either go for the fx-8350 or an i5-3570k.  They are about the same price and about the same performance.  Intel seems to win in some areas, but the amd boards have a crap ton of sata3 ports, if that's important to you.  If you are near Houston or Dallas, it would be worth the drive to Microcenter.  http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

In your case going AMD and an 8350 or Intel and a 3570K would be a decent upgrade from a X3-720.  If you were only gaming I would go the cheapest of the two. If you were thinking about Graphics rendering or something highly multithreaded like that I would look at the AMD. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you can afford.

Edited by dihartnell