Data Connection Broken On SATA HD

Phil

I've got a WD 160GB SATA HD, and the plastic part of the data connection has broken off inside the cable.  I got most of the data off before it no longer worked, and the drive itself tests OK.  I have an identical drive, so my question is has anyone ever changed the header on a drive to get access to the data again?  It looks like it's an L shaped piece screwed to the back of the drive with torx screws. 

Any help to prevent me from ending up with 2 unusable drives will be appreciated, CQTMS.

How close are the 2 drive made to each other, like the mfd date, firmware. Because if they are really close you might have a good chance of swapping the controller board and it working.

That way you could retrieve the data then trash the drive. You wont hurt the board any if it does not work so no worries on that part.

You can buy a Serial ATA drive repair kit from Digi-Key, for under twenty dollars that has several header connectors in kit, or buy just a single replacement header.

I have replaced lot's of them on WD Ice Packs, takes a few min. :thumbsup:  Or if you have identical matching drive, swapping controler boards works also.  

Edited by Braegnok

I didn't know about Digi-Key, thanks.  I do in fact have an identical drive, so I may try that first and take a chance the firmware will work.  I'm not worried about a short, AFAIK there's nothing wrong with the old drive but the broken plastic piece.

Phil,

Swapping out the controller board is the easiest way to accomplish this task.  I'd recommend that over trying to jack with the drive repair kit.

Just my two cents worth  :)