When do you upgrade your drivers?

neddamttocs

37 members have voted

1. 1. When do you upgrade your drivers?

• As soon as they come out
    • Wait a month to see if they are worth it
    • Wait until i need to (i.e Bug Fix)
    • Only after major system updates
    • Update, whats this update you speak of?

I generally wait for 2-3 week to see if the new drivers actually improves the performance or not. If no improvement, then no question of up-gradation. But, if there has been significant improveent in pricing, then I upgrade - which happened in very few times.

It depends on a lot of factors, and the primary would be is the level of control you choose over your system. Updating drivers isn't like installing an update or patch to prevent an exploit of your system, even though those can be left on manual for you to decide if & when. If you are close to cutting edge in graphics, and playing the latest out there, then yes update.

Many drivers from the manufacturers of the components in your system have a very good reason to update, and will explain the actual criteria of the update in full explanation on their websites. Don't forget to browse around for firmware updates for the hardware in your system also.

I used to update my drivers quite frequently when I was seriously into gaming. Now that it's cooled off, I occasionally download new driver updates. However, I frequently have my Windows Updates thanks to the reminders.

Poll should probably multiple choice  :)   

Depending on the hardware and circumstance I can end up anywhere from choices 1 through 5.

Examples;

chipset driver - hardly ever unless there are bugs or additional hardware support offered

lan driver - hardly ever after unless there are bugs

gpu driver - i usually like to give the latest official and even beta releases a drive

sata / raid driver - hardly ever unless there are bugs or new features (trim support on RAID for example)

audio driver - hardley ever unless there are bugs

I voted for "wait a until a month after they come out" because I usually only update them when I read about them being stable and stuff or I hear people telling me that they got X fps increase in X game, etc. Rarely the moment they come out as they tend to be a little buggy (past experiences). Don't fix it if it ain't broke. 

This is my view on GPU drivers only, by the way. Everything else, I don't update unless there's a bug. 

Edited by Onion

Kind of all of the above.

1. I'll update with beta's when I want to try it out.

2. I'll update when it just comes out.

3. If one of the above screws things up, I wait to see if they fixed the issue and if any other people experience the same issue with the newer update.

4. Sometimes I don't realize there's an update (like the latest AMD one), and realize I don't need to update and just wait for the next one (especially if there's an announcement for a new one in the works within a few weeks).

5. Sometimes I don't bother to update unless I need to for some reason (i.e., my wife's computer or our HTPC).

I update drivers as soon as they come out unless there's a major bug.

An update is supposed to make a software better and it doesn't take very much time. So why not?