Guys, can i get your opnion on written articles vs. videos

damian

Some of you might not know this about me but I have always stuided Martial Arts. Started when i was 4 and am now 20..(gonne be 21 in july! :D )  And apart from maybe a 2-3 yr hiatus I have always practiced the arts. So i wanted to share my knowledge on the beauty behind martial arts and fighting. Really get down to the science/ergonmaincs philosphy and culture behind it all.

I have lots of ideas for articles regarding, fitness (stretching, regimens, etc etc), styles,and even analysis of mma fights. The only thing is i am having trouble getting it down on paper. I am a perfectionist and i always seem to think i can come up with a better way of saying something and so it becomes hard for me to really finish up a paragraph, let a lone a full article. So i was thinking maybe just using youtube as a way to deliver the content.

I know lots of people in the hardware community use to frown upon "Video reviews" and a well typed out review was easier for one to skim through or even read. But since this isnt a hardware site i ask you guys.

If and when you have ever looked up info on fitness or workouts, do you prefer to read it or watch a video on it?

What would you recommend?

Both mediums have their benefits - as you say, written articles can have their benefits, obviously they are easier to skim through to get a reference, but having massive blocks of text isn't ideal either. Videos are harder to skim through, but they are better if it's specifically about something in particular.

If you can break it up into manageable chunks, in which you each cover a certain aspect of the arts, I say YouTube :D

for something like martial arts demonstrations no amount of pics and words can really compare to a video. No matter what you are presenting there will always be different deciding factors. With computer hardware its generally much nicer in a text form with some pics and graphs because for the most part you know how things will work but just need to know how well.

Other things like new and fancy peripherals like say the omni directional treadmill for pairing with the oculous rift for imersive game play are kinda lost without a video.

For things as complex as correct movements of the human body a video is definately needed.

I read a review when I am seriously considering something or need more time to think and review (instead of pausing a video), I will watch a video if I need to see more specifically how something works or if I am bored. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Black64

Keep the videos short and to the point, I think it's more effective to demonstrate something rather than a wall of text. Also, you should add a small list of important sections of the video if it is a long one. Like this. 1:03 Intro. 1:57 Demonstration. 3:13 Tips and tricks. It makes it a lot easier to skim.

Keep the videos short and to the point, I think it's more effective to demonstrate something rather than a wall of text. Also, you should add a small list of important sections of the video if it is a long one. Like this. 1:03 Intro. 1:57 Demonstration. 3:13 Tips and tricks. It makes it a lot easier to skim.

Yes, keep the text in the description, not the video. Videos are to watch, descriptions are to read.

Thanks guys...and Onions good idea man I'll definitely use that