can my motherboard?

hey guys, I was looking today at some new storage drives for my computer but I want some fast write speeds to be able to record videos but I need a higher write speed for it I get like 60mb/sec when I run a test on dxtory but I wish to get something like maybe over 100-200mb/sec and I just don't have a clue about this stuff, I just want some suggestions on what I could get to improve this what are a decent affordable price, and this is a link to my motherboard just in case that affects anything http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#sp,

Edited by MadMan_Tom

Your mb runs sata 2 so your best bet would be to get an ssd which will give you about 250 mb/s transfer, if you had sata 3 you might get about 450 to 500 mb/s . This all depends on what kind of files you will be transferring.

When you say storage drives do you mean internal or external. Stating 60mbps must mean external, and therein lies the problem. I think external storage drives are really meant for just storage. As far as its use as a i/o constant use, I just don't think it's designed for that, and it's i/o performance reflects that. In time as SSD capacitys increase, and the price goes down, it would be a perfect unit for external USB due to its very low voltage requirements (it would run off one USB port with no external power), and the read/write speeds would be awesome. Remember a external HDD should have 7200rpm to realize some kind of decent read/write speeds, and a 7200rpm HDD needs some serious volts to spin, especially under load. You could install a pci sata card with a power port, and bypass the USB system entirely.

At 60mbps would equal about a 2001 serial ata ide drive specification...useless. Usefull only to slowly transfer data for backup & storage.

my system spec is AMD FX-4170 4.4GH QUADCORE CPU, 8GB of 1333mhz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HARD DRIVE STORAGE, AMD Radeon 7770 1gb, gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard, 400 watt XIGMATEK, windows 8. and this is the official website page I got it from for the precise specs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-FUSION-1-AMD-QUAD-CORE-RADEON-HD7770-1TB-CHEAP-GAMING-PC-COMPUTER-/190747459900?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c696f413c#ht_4970wt_1249, I wouldn't mind external because I could get a usb 3.0 hub or and expansion because most of my usbs are taken but not all, im not entirely sure about ssd's because I have heard they are very costly for them and they need power and im not very wise about getting the cables for them and connecting them to my psu, btw would be transferring videos mostly of hd quality and uploading them, I hope this enough information.

Edited by MadMan_Tom

btw the score I got was doing a transfer rate test on dxtory, but I was running some applications but not like games or anything, and in the windows experience the disk data transfer got a 5.9 dragging the score down and the second lowest in the experience was 7.3

Realistically an internal Sata II HDD will give you an average of 70~100Mb/s. Get yourself a decent quality SSD, they aren't difficult to wire up.

How large are the video files and do you need to keep them once they are uploaded?

same here it didn't seem to do anything , I will intend to keep the videos for a while but I will probably delete them if need be if there isn't enough space but I will probably buy more of what I decide to get if its not too pricey, I will say from calculating the file space per minute about 6.5 gb but just to be safe 7gb per 30 minutes, and probably each video will probably be about 30 minutes or less per video

Edited by MadMan_Tom

Madman - as previously noted SSDs are going to give you the highest write speeds of any option on the table.  However, you are going to be crippled in the space department because for many folks a 128 to 256Gb SSD is the most they can afford (even at less that a buck per Gb).  

If I understand your needs correctly, you are still going to need a storage drive so you can move your completed work over to a less expensive storage option for long term archiving.

Further hindering your effort is that your motherboard only supports SATA 3Gb/s - so your onboard SATA controller is going to somewhat cripple SSD performance.

Price and storage wise your best bet might be to buy a refurbished SATA 3Gb/s SSD like this one until you can scrape up enough cash to upgrade your system to a SATA 6Gb/s motherboard;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227942

Use this as your OS and scratch drive, and then move completed videos over to your existing 1TB storage drive as needed.