Windows 7 problem with re-install.

Cespenar

Hi,

I did a motherboard change and ran into difficulties. My windows 7 is an OEM version.

My MoBo died and when I tried to re-install windows 7 I wasn't given a choice of drive to install it. The install program went straight ahead and installed, in the wrong partition.

Then it wouldn't finish resulting in a corrupted (presumably) installation.

I tried again, and this time I still did't get a choice of drive and it tried to install on the differen't physical drive E:\

Also a corrupted install. Windows install program then said it could not install on any drive or partition.

My son had to wipe and format all physical drives and get rid of the partitions before we could continue.

At that point we were able to install windows onto a partition called C:\

I admit much of this was probably my fault, but does anyone think that the OEM version makes things a bit different during the install procedure?

Looking on the net some people have been able to use OEM many times and others only once.

Is this a recovery disk for like a dell or hp or something? The reason I ask is you usually get a choice of location to install and there is typically a choice for standard or custom install..

yea well it's prolly to late now but most of the proprietary computer manufacturer's add in the system recovery partition to allow the owner the choice of reverting the machine back to the original factory specs and settings if things go haywire,...but most of us just do what yous guys did and wipe everything, then reinstall on the newly created C: drive,....it aint no thing really but you loose the factory's settings and features,...you'll most likely need to go to their website and download/reinstall the mobo chipset and drivers for that model...and win7 will grab most everything else it needs...i think you'll be ok once all that stuff is reacquired and working...

i don't recall having had any major prob's with oem windows...

It's just a home built desktop. I've been building my computers and my son's for over ten years. never did like brand name computers.

And no, it is not a recovery disk. Just an ordinary OEM win7.

I know I made a few mistakes here. The first one was getting OEM.

Actually, this is under the wrong forum heading.

It should be under OS forum heading.           Damn. I'm still making mistakes.

I wonder if Windows 8 would be better.