Scroll lag AFTER uninstalling/reinstalling ATI & Omega Drivers XP

BlaineBug

Hello.  I have a problem.  Initially, I uninstalled my original ATI drivers (latest) for my ATI X800 Pro AGP video card.  Upon reinstalling, my window dragging/internet scrolling/browsing was terribly laggy.  I uninstalled the ATI drivers (including going into the registry and removing all ATI entrees) and then installed the Omega drivers.  Everything was flawless, smooth dragging and browsing.

However, after the Omega drivers were working and everything was smooth, I did a test, in which I uninstalled the Omega drivers and then reinstalled.  The same thing is occuring with the laggy browsing/scrolling/windows dragging, as it did with the ATI drivers.

It seems that whenever I initially install a NEW driver everything works great, but, upon uninstalling/reinstalling I get this lag.

Any idea what is causing this?  Please help.  Like I said I went into the registry, deleted all ATI entrees, and also searched my entire C: drive for ATI folders and files as well.  I removed everything ATI related that I found, yet I am still having this problem even after a full uninstall and reinstall of the ATI and Omega drivers.

System specs:

Asus K8VSE Deluxe motherboard
AMD 3400+ processor
Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Sapphire X800 Pro video card
1.5 gigs ram
XP Home Edition

Edited by Officer_Dufus

I'm trying that right now.  I got the older version from 3dguru.....uninstalled Omega drivers again......I'm in safe mode w/ networking right now, about to run the driver sweeper.

Years back I recall using some sort of driver cleaner (I forget which one exactly) and it removed a bunch of drivers and created a bunch of headaches for me.  I'm a bit apprehensive about those programs - I'd much rather do the manual work inside of the registry with regedit instead, if possible.

But by the looks of it, driversweeper will only clean these ATI entrees that it is showing me right on the screen.  Hopefully it doesn't skew anything else.

Edited by Officer_Dufus

That made no difference at all.  I installed the Omega drivers after restarting after using the Driver Sweeper and everything is the same, with the lag and all.

I've never run into a problem like this before.

Well, I've been tinkering with this all day....day 2......no changes.

While having the Omega driver installed, I attempted to "update the driver" from the device manager.

It installed some older ATI X800 Pro driver, and upon restart the LAG is gone when browsing or dragging desktop windows.  This driver is from 2006, and I believe is included with one of the Windows XP service packs, as from my searches in Windows.

But I cannot set the refresh rate, it is stuck at 60hz even though a full list of refresh rates is available as i would first have to install the catalyst control center to do so, apparently.

What is going on?

I should be able to use the latest ATI or Omega driver and not get any lag, and be able to set the refresh rate.  Where is the conflict that is causing the lag when I install drivers more than once?

I'm going to leave this for now.  My eyes are bugging me, yes, due to the low refresh rate - but at least I can browse without an annoying choppy scroll.  This still isn't right.

Any chance you could upgrade to Vista or 7?  XP is likely not doing you any favors here and the newer drivers are far less cranky than the old XP driver model drivers.

Not on this system, no.  If I go that route I am going to build a new system.  But, obviously the drivers DO work.  The ATI driver is an old driver from 3 years ago, as the X800 is a legacy product.

The drivers work upon initial installation, but after uninstalling them and reinstalling them, then this lag appears.

Does anyone else know anything?  I was hoping for input from more than just one other person :/