Boot Dryer Mod: Finally a good use for vantec tornado case fans.

Tornados last forever :)

Double ball bearing, I have an 80mm and a 92mm from like 03 that still work flawlessly with no shaft play. The 80mm is the most annoying high pitched hair dryer whine ever though  :rofl:

Find yourself an old CPU and use a stock cooler on it then set it to folding. That way you dry boots and get folding points at the same time. There is your heat source...

Using things for purposes it wasn't designed for is always more fun. Like using peanut butter as thermal paste, not only does it keep your CPU frosty cool, but it also spreads that roasted peanut goodness smell all through the house.

• Like 1

The 80mm Tornados move 80CFM, however the 92mm Tornados move 120 CFM, and I happen to have one I am not using, and I would be willing to donate it for this endeavour.

The Tornados weigh in at 55 decibels, I can't imagine having more than one in a case, even one is deafening.

Thanks for the offer man but unless your just dying to get rid of it im fine using 80cfm, that will dry them out fast enough.

The 80mm Tornados move 80CFM, however the 92mm Tornados move 120 CFM, and I happen to have one I am not using, and I would be willing to donate it for this endeavour.

The Tornados weigh in at 55 decibels, I can't imagine having more than one in a case, even one is deafening.

Used to have 5 in a case LOL.

Looks interesting so far. As for hot air just get the little woman standing in front of it giving you crap for coming in late :no:

Yeah... i ran two. They kept an open sided beige monster cooler than my new 6 fan thermaltake armour revo gene case(unfortunatley the thing wont fit any fan smaller than 120).

Not as much fun, and cost 2 or 3 times as much. I will probably end up spending maybe 15 bucks on this. Those are 50+

Tornados last forever :)

Double ball bearing, I have an 80mm and a 92mm from like 03 that still work flawlessly with no shaft play. The 80mm is the most annoying high pitched hair dryer whine ever though  :rofl:

They do, and that's good as i will be using them allot. Well death wanted me to use a hairdryer didn't he?

Find yourself an old CPU and use a stock cooler on it then set it to folding. That way you dry boots and get folding points at the same time. There is your heat source...

Nice idea, but slightly impracticable in my situation. I'm looking for something low power, already having to cut back my folding because of heat and power.  I did however look aat taking some dryer vent and making a modular air intake from the back of my main rig.

Sooo been working overtime all week. But tomorrow i should be able to get to lowes and pick this stuff up. Wish I'd thought of this a week ago when i had some free time cause I'm hurting for some dry boots. I hate having to dig rice out of my boots every morning.

Shopping list:

Some kind of distributor box, im thinking like a electric box?(you know like you put in the wall)

2 90 degree angles

2 45 degree angles

28" pipe. (14 each side)

I'm thinking 1" pipe. Not really sure.

• Like 1

I think 1" may be a little small, but what do I know?

I agree but i really have no clue how big it ought to be for optimum air flow. Maybe 2" would do better, 3" would be too big i think. 

So i get to home depot. Pick out my pipes and joints and go looking for the box thing.

They have it in .5" or .75" not what im after. So i'm going to swing by lowes and see what they have. Probably be monday by then.

The thinking on this was that those sizes would restrict the air too much, how big do y'all think the minimum should size i should consider should be for the best compromise on airflow?

EDIT: And did i mention, PVC is ridiculously expensive!! $2 for a 1.25" 45 degree elbow, $2.5 for a 90....

This project was supposed to be quick and fun, but then thats the way all my projects start...

Edited by SpeedCrazy