What sound card?

MadMan_Tom

hey guys im getting some roccat kaves for my birthday soon, and i was speaking to a guy in a shop about this and he said its worth getting a fairly expensive sound card because if you get just a cheap one you will get alot of fuzzy noises and stuff, any ideas on what to get? , i was going to get one but now im lost and dont know anymore, giving a suggestion on what sound card will be amazing and make will still be good whats not going to cost loads and will work with these headphones. btw i have on a lot next to my graphics card which is quite long but not as big as the graphics card one, and the small slot which you can have a soundcard is covered by my graphics card so please bear that in mind if you were going to give a specific sound card.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gotcha.

In that case you still don't need anything crazy expensive.  What model motherboard do you have?  I would assume you probably have free PCI slots but if you have an available PCIe slot it might be better to invest in a newer PCIe sound card for a few more dollars.

Oh I see. You could get s front panel expansion bay (and use the onboard) or you could get a cheap PCI sound card. Ill try to post a few options later.

Do you have any sort of budget on how much you'd be willing to spend?

And these are the 5.1 headphones right?

You could end up looking at anything from the Asus Xonar DG to the HT Omega Claro, Creative Sound Blaster Z and Asus Xpnar Essence.

Something else that comes into play, what PCI and PCIe slots do you have free?

You don't need to spend a lot unless you're super-critical about sound quality (and if you're getting Roccat Kaves I assume you care more about gaming/movies than critical music listening).

Here would be my two options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-265-002&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111005

I tried to find a front panel 7.1 output that would connect to your motherboard but came up short.  Perhaps someone with better Google-fu can help?

thankyou waco, i have looked up into the font panel sound, but it appears that i couldnt find a 7.1 output but older ones that awfully complicated and not 7.1, seeming that you dont need a fancy sound card i will be going with the one from rosewill, thankyou for the help