crap Usa Vs Australian Prices

Vampire

Im really confused here now, I see, for example, a radeon 9800 pro on sale here for $600+ (australian $), then I go to places such as newegg.com and see them for $230 (US$), I convert the price over (I heard on the news the AU$ is worth ~80c US), which means the Aussie price is about $280 australian! Thats so stupid, I want to buy all my computer gear from palces like newegg but the transport of the product wis probably risky (that is if they even do send to australia). Does anyone know WHY this is?? Are our local stores way way WAY overpricing components or what?? Its theft if you ask me!!!

Just my rant! :P

Before the change in the value of the Aussie dollar an Asus A7n8X-X was $105+ AUD @ MSY.com.au which equates into $63 USD pretty on spec with current US prices for that item, the value of our dollar goes up, but the local resellers sell @ same the price (more profit for them) that's business for ya' ;)

Just try and get a DFI lanparty nForce2 B mobo local it's :wacko:

Out of the major retailers listed on pricegrabber, I only found 12 who ship internationally...

eWiz.com will ship internationally... but NOT to Canada :huh: and

Axion technologies will ship anywhere! :D

There were 10 more but these two dealt in mobo's as well...

However... if something goes wrong with it, it's a long way to send it back :(

If you ask me, your local stores know you wont try to get stuff yourself cause of the risk and they overprice it. Exchange is not really a problem it's more or less like canada but you're way further but shipping cant be that much to be charged double++ the price :(

Edited by kobalt

I decided to calculate the cost of international shipping from USA to AUS for your Radeon 9800 Pro using UPS ;)

Example

Ship From:.......................LOS ANGELES, 90088, US

Ship To:...........................SYDNEY, 2000, AU

Shipment Date:................Saturday 21 February 2004

Total Shipment Weight:....4 lb (1.8kg) [allowing for added protective wrapping]

Cost in USD......................$80.15

This of course doesn't include any Australian Duty/Import tax, which if applicable would be additional :O

Original item.

$279.00 USD ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DVI/TV AGP 8X Video Card Retail

$80.15 USD International shipping via UPS

$448.95 AUS approximately (not including import duty if applicable) :D

OR

Get a POWERCOLOR ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB from i-tech.com.au for $479.00 AUD ;)

I also found one on eBay (Aussie) a NEW SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB with FREE POST for AU $399.99

I also found one on eBay (Aussie) a NEW SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB with FREE POST for AU $399.99

Thats also what Im worried about... why would you sell a sapphire radeon 9800 pro for only $400 if its new??? There surely must be something wrong with the card if its that price, my dad used to tell me, "Theres ALWAYS a catch"

why would you sell a sapphire radeon 9800 pro for only $400 if its new??? There surely must be something wrong with the card if its that price, my dad used to tell me, "Theres ALWAYS a catch"

Well firstly the seller is 'Stateside'... so they're actually selling them for $319.20 USD ;)

But it's 'free post'... remember what that's worth eh? <_<

Secondly that's the "buy now" price... they'd be hoping for more (naturally) :P

Another item is a genuine ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP... with current bids @ AU $152.50 (another Stateside shipper)

Or there's Scorpion Technology (Melbourne) with 9800 pros ranging from $499.00 to $775.00

MSY (Melbourne) have a HIS Radeon 9800 pro 128 agp 8X w/tv listed for $450.00 (currently out of stock)

You want a 9800 pro you'll have to shop for it! I was just merely pointing out some options ;)

Your best bet would be EBAY and ask the seller to give you a shipping cost, might be lower if you choose someone from europe there are good prices from US but like taz showed lots of added fees the link is a 9700 pro a crap good card if you ask me for $150 ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...MEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by kobalt

i read somewhere that there is a scam right now of ebay .. someone selling saffire 9800 pros... but i heard this from someone else who had no proof, well only because i didnt care and didnt ask. just fyi..