Black or Frozen Screen----but no BSOD

Determine whether you want to continue running your memory with tight timings at 1333Mhz or whether you want to run it at the rated speed.  Strange that the XMP1 Profile didn't correctly set your memory frequency, voltage and timings.  Was there more than one XMP profile?  

Don't miss-understand me, glad that you've got Memtest stability and there isn't anything wrong with those nice tight timings, but personally I'd rather have my memory running at it's rated speed and timings of 1600Mhz / 9-9-9-27

Please let me know about the XMP profile.  It really should have loaded the correct BIOS settings when you enabled it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Wev,

I enabled the Profile 1 but still running at the lower mhz and the rated settings for my sticks are 7-9-8-24 @1600.  I think it would be worth it to just go ahead and tune it into something with more performance.

Kwok - was there more than one XMP Profile available?  Sometimes there will be a Profile 1 and Profile 2

If so please try each and let me know if either of them set correctly.  If not then we can manually enter in the correct timing and voltage.  I'll be right here.

Kwok - was there more than one XMP Profile available?  Sometimes there will be a Profile 1 and Profile 2

If so please try each and let me know if either of them set correctly.  If not then we can manually enter in the correct timing and voltage.  I'll be right here.

Ok what happened is that I did set it to profile1, but the next box down, I had at 1333 instead of "auto".  Once I switched it to auto, everything kicked in properly.  At this point I went ahead and manually set both sticks at 8-9-8-27 and bumped the frequency to 1866.  Voltage still on auto and running at 1.6.  My Windows performance eval now now rates at 7.9 for my Memory. 

I have since raised the multiplier on my 2500k to 46 and everything is working well.  If you have any advice or input at this point I would surely welcome it.  I don't mind taking some time to mess with the OC settings.

CPU- 4.6ghz--temp 28c--voltage 1.428 on auto.

Mobo temp 29c

Edited by Kwok

Ok, well this is a good starting point then.  You shouldn't need 1.428 vcore to run at 4.6Ghz.  The average vcore required for 4.6Ghz is in the neighborhood of 1.35 to 1.36v

Go into the MIT menu and change the following;

CPU vCore - change from "Auto" to "Normal"

Dynamic vCore - change to +0.060v (please note the exact places of the decimals)

CPU VTT LLC - change to 1.10v

Save changes, reboot and test for stability.

Intel Burn Test - test approximately 20 minutes using 80-90% of available RAM

If that passes fire up Prime 95 and run custom test,  use these settings;

In Prime95 "Advanced Settings" make sure to select SUM(INPUTS) error checking and Round-off

Under "Options" select "Torture Test"

In the options select "Custom"

Min FTT size set = 256

Max FTT size set = 4096

Memory to use = set this to 80% of your 8Gb

Time to run each FTT size = 10

Let this test run for a couple of hours.  If it passes you're ready to run some 3D benchmark / stress test

If everything checks out, schedule an 8 hour run of Prime95 Blend Test.  When you run this pre-configured option you won't need to change anything.  Just select "Blend" and start the test.

If you get a BSOD don't freak out.  It will probably be an x124 or x101 error.  Both of those are usually voltage related and should be easy enough to overcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Experience is a wonderful teacher   :)

It just happened to come to mind because a few months back I was still running the 306.97 driver with my 5 series cards and got a butt hair to "update".  In my situation each update was progressively worse than the one before for my cards, so I went back to 306.97 and all was well again.

Not having learned my lesson, just this week I updated to the newest 314.22 driver.  For now that one seems to be working great, but the 313 and all previous 314s were a disaster.

Glad it's sorted.  Hopefully the fix holds for you.

I had to roll my system with the gtx480 in it back to the 314 drivers a few weeks back as it just isn't happy with the newer drivers (lockup's or driver would crash and restart. After rolling it back to the 314 driver the system ran fine with no stability issues.. Dont trust the newer drivers with older cards.. The newer drivers work fine on my system with the 670's in it but not on any system with older cards...