Tired of trends and bandwagons...

That_Guy

Just delete Facebook  Not really sure why so many people feel the need to have it. I do not use it and find it amusing when people I know allow themselves to be drawn into it to the point that it causes drama in their own lives. Not that all trends originate on it but it sure does give them a big push.

I'd love to delete it but i am in a few groups related to gaming in there plus i have a lot of long-distance real-life friends and i find Facebook to be a good way to keep in touch... One thing i do agree upon - my friend list is long due for clean-up :P I personally dont think of myself as an FB fiend, i only check in about once a day and have relatively few people on my friendlist (as opposed to over 100 people like some i know do). 

But yeah, its not just FB, you could probably see those things i mentioned on TV and papers. And you saw people with signs and such out there shouting about the importance of the cause. Which is pretty much the same as FB.

My life got much simpler when I stopped watching regular network tv, especially the news...someone said it already bro...."hit the off button"...

+1 for the non-conformists and the fb free life. Never had a fb account and hope to never had one, though it is very attractive for keeping up with friends heading off into the wide world.

@OP I agree completely. But i just have to jump up on my soapbox for a second in regards the topic you used as an example.

It strikes me as ridiculously ironic that gays want the right to marry. Now i understand wanting the benefits(tax wise and such), and sure, go ahead give it to them, its a self eradicating gene i figure(so long as we don't let them adopt).

But if the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman why should gays care whether they can marry? Its like saying i am a metalhead but i want to like rap so i re-define rap as metal..... if you are gay you don't want to be legally bound to a member of the other sex so why do you want the term that means 'to bound to a member of the other sex' to apply to you? Maybe its just me but it seems like an awful dumb way to go about feeling accepted and all that.

This is why I have four Facebook friends.

if you say so, lol.

No doubt anything that's trending gets overdone, and people who don't really care jump on the bandwagon.  But that's just how these things work, it's the end result that counts.  Women's issues, gay issues, race issues, you name it, sort of follow the same arc.  The bigger picture is that these things ultimately make the world a more just place.

I had a whole reply typed out, not sure why it never posted.

Now a days there is a lot more things in the news (be it mass media or internet news outlets) that until recently would never be shown the light if day.

Be it racial injustices, inequalities, the ever increasing amount of openly agnostic/atheist people or open homosexuality.

I think trending topics serve to get things into the limelight.

Would it be better if people never spoke of these things at all?

call me crazy, but i have fb and yak on it daily, its how i keep up with the friends and family in my life:  " Cj Loki " ...it's a useful tool for me, and i get to like the computer ed show too !...it's ok if you add me as a friend !!

My life got much simpler when I stopped watching regular network tv, especially the news...someone said it already bro...."hit the off button"...

Havent watched TV in 10 years, which extremely proud of! Thats a good trend to start! Modern TV is nothing but a brainwashing anyways

This is why I have four Facebook friends.

if you say so, lol.

No doubt anything that's trending gets overdone, and people who don't really care jump on the bandwagon.  But that's just how these things work, it's the end result that counts.  Women's issues, gay issues, race issues, you name it, sort of follow the same arc.  The bigger picture is that these things ultimately make the world a more just place.

Or do they? Most of those "trends" only let some people to capitalize on other people's problems, without any real result, like with KONY campaign...

The only good reason for a Facebook account is to Like Computer Ed Radio and be entered to win free stuff :woot:

Just checked out your radio FB page, you definitely have my "Like" for it, good Sir!

PS: Just make sure you dont send me My calendar Birthday invites :doh:  haha