Datsun Z Thread

Onion

SBC is the way to go man. Dirt cheap, super reliable, and it will make that same 350rwhp laughably easy with WAY more tq then what you were looking at.

I'd love to run into a good condition Datsun body to throw my old motor in it. 460hp and ran 11.7s in street trim in a 3300# Z28...imagine in a little gutted ~2200# tin can with more aggressive gearing/stall!

I love a V8 as much as anyone else, but I really don't think they belong in a Z. I like the L6 engine for a few reasons: 1. It won't kill me if I run into something, it'll just end up as my new center console. 2. Better gas mileage. 3. Lighter, so less understeer since these cars are light at the rear. 4. Just need to turn up the boost if I want more than 350 hp. 

I don't want to go to stupid amounts of power in my daily driver. Tires get pricey, it gets harder to drive flat out (easier to break traction, causes some puckering around corners), gas mileage goes down throughout the range since its a V8 (gas mileage is pretty good if I stay off boost on the L6 turbo). Plus, I can get a COMPLETE 280ZXT motor (which means no modifications) for $400. Swap is easier, too, no custom harnesses or anything. Just a megasquirt system and some bolts. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't be going 1st gen SBC if I did put a V8 in my car. Whatever swap I do, it will be running with a MS. L6 is still easier, since all it needs is "just a megasquirt".

Thanks CJ. 

Here's another that i had laying around. Note the pause when I give it some gas halfway through the video... That's an incorrect float level (which has since been fixed). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqllfO0LR8

Same day, heading home from the post office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTI7yeiSkg

I'm reminiscing... Good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4RuyaLTEBs

Edited by Onion

(hope you didn't think I was making fun of it in the last post, it just has a very unique waaahing about it)

Nope, not at all. It used to have a more metallic/tinny rattle to it, but that's because it was running crappy ACDelco platinum plugs, and these cars don't like that. I got some old school copper plugs and it sounded much better. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3CP61b9bI

Yep, my friend never believes me that some cars just prefer copper plugs. I run the same NGKs my car is said to have come with from the factory. Though I've used other brands and types and had luck too but why pay more.

Yep, my friend never believes me that some cars just prefer copper plugs. I run the same NGKs my car is said to have come with from the factory. Though I've used other brands and types and had luck too but why pay more.

Show him the videos as evidence. :lol: I'm running NGKs, some people have tried Bosch iridium and platinum plugs and their cars run like crap. The coppers don't last as long, but at $10 a set, it really doesn't matter.

Show him the videos as evidence. :lol: I'm running NGKs, some people have tried Bosch iridium and platinum plugs and their cars run like crap. The coppers don't last as long, but at $10 a set, it really doesn't matter.

Idk if it's the platinum part or not but Bosch anything sucks balls (except their wipers which are oddly some of the best on the market)

• 3 weeks later...