Onion

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have you had it dyno'd yet ?

+1, see if revving it that high is even worth it. Your power may have dropped off thousands of revs prior to when you shift

Read my post about the power band of this Cam.

+1, see if revving it that high is even worth it. Your power may have dropped off thousands of revs prior to when you shift

No :teehee:

No :teehee:

:pfp:

So let me get this straight.

You have a low compression motor, ported head, stock valvetrain, and a high RPM cam.

What the hell was the last owner thinking? :lol:

You have a low compression motor, ported head, stock valvetrain, and a high RPM cam.

I'm assuming the head isn't shaved, but its possible since its ported. Stock, they're 8.8:1 for the third gen E88 head. It could be a first or second gen E88 (no way of telling since I haven't pulled it yet), which also have higher compression. Valvetrain may or may not be stock, not sure on that either. We'll see, I'm pulling the valve cover soon. Even if it is exactly the way you said, I don't mind, it leaves me some stuff to do, nice and fun. 

Edited by Onion

I'm starting to think more along the lines of what the hell was onion thiking? Or smoking, when he bought it?

I'm starting to think more along the lines of what the hell was onion thiking? Or smoking, when he bought it?

Look at it this way... Its got improvements, but isn't completely done. Someone did part of it, but didn't do the rest. It only gives me a fraction of the work to do.

I just adjusted my primary float, then adjusted them some more, than literally had a geyser of fuel shoot up out of the carb about 2-3 inches and into the primaries, which drowned the engine, got all over the hot headers, and boiled the fuel while making a sizzling sound. I never ran for the extinguisher this fast... I then replaced the primary needle and seat gaskets, readjusted the float to take care of the geyser, and fired her up again. Nice and smooth. Then I took care of the timing, set it to 10 degrees advanced. Test drive tonight, will post results. 

I just adjusted my primary float, then adjusted them some more, than literally had a geyser of fuel shoot up out of the carb about 2-3 inches and into the primaries, which drowned the engine, got all over the hot headers, and boiled the fuel while making a sizzling sound. I never ran for the extinguisher Fuel Injection this fast... I then replaced the primary needle and seat gaskets, readjusted the float to take care of the geyser, and fired her up again. Nice and smooth. Then I took care of the timing, set it to 10 degrees advanced. Test drive tonight, will post results.

What you should have said! (I read your cam post now and see more of where you were coming from)

I just adjusted my primary float, then adjusted them some more, than literally had a geyser of fuel shoot up out of the carb about 2-3 inches and into the primaries, which drowned the engine, got all over the hot headers, and boiled the fuel while making a sizzling sound. I never ran for the extinguisher Fuel Injection this fast... I then replaced the primary needle and seat gaskets, readjusted the float to take care of the geyser, and fired her up again. Nice and smooth. Then I took care of the timing, set it to 10 degrees advanced. Test drive tonight, will post results.

What you should have said! (I read your cam post now and see more of where you were coming from)

No point in fuel injecting the L24. When I swap to the L28ET, it'll be fuel injected because that's how they were made. I'll be with my L24 for a while, though. Its nice and peppy and easy to tune. 

No point in fuel injecting the L24. When I swap to the L28ET, it'll be fuel injected because that's how they were made. I'll be with my L24 for a while, though. Its nice and peppy and easy to tune. 

I know, I'm just teasing...you're certainly more determined than I. I'd have sputtered it around town until I got enough money for the swap

ok leet, let me be the first to go on record here (and this might sting a little, my apologies) but i think waco has a valid point to consider... the more modifications that are done to said vehicle, the less it's worth in the vintage/antique retail markets of the world...if you want trick it out for your own gratification, then that's wonderful, and more power to ya homie,  but the closer it is to it's stock, factory configuration, the more it's going to be worth when the time comes to part with it...now having said that, maybe the previous owner thought long and hard about the modifications he made and maybe not,... but perhaps this is a good opportunity to reevaluate which direction you want to go with the Z before you commit to "major" changes that could potentially affect it's value...either way, it's still a beautiful ride !