Help Please.

paulktreg

I recently changed my daughters graphics card from a GTX460 to a HD7850 and it's caused no end of problems. I uninstalled all related Nvidia drivers before removing the GTX460 and installing the HD7850 with the latest drivers. Now I'm just going of what my daughter is telling me but last night the PC found a problem and started the repair process, it did eventually boot after 20 mins and worked flawlessly whilst she played Planet Side 2. This evening it found an error on E drive and started the checking process, found no problems and eventually booted.

What's going on here? Any pointers because I'd hate to have to install Windows 7 again!

Have you run CCleaner to remove all traces of the NVIDIA drivers?

yup, what he said, ...it's happened to me in the past too...

Yeah switching brands is a pain , I once had to reinstall windows for it to work. I would just uninstall the AMD drivers reboot . Use cc cleaner + whatever . Reboot again . Cc cleaner again , reboot and than install the drivers

Also clear up your temp so windows won't auto install something when your reboot

Edited by hornybluecow

That's a good tutorial but Driver Cleaner will automate the majority of that for you  :)

Use the Windows uninstaller.

Before rebooting.... run Driver Sweeper

Before rebooting.... manually delete any nVidia or AMD folders remaining (make sure to get only those pertaining to graphics)

Before rebooting do a quick search of your registry for any orphaned registry entries belonging to nVidia or AMD (make sure to get only those pertaining to graphics)

Reboot and install new video card drivers.

And as others have already recommended - double check the easy stuff such as loose cables and make sure the video card is firmly seated in the PCIe slot.

That's a good tutorial but Driver Cleaner will automate the majority of that for you   :)

Use the Windows uninstaller.

Before rebooting.... run Driver Sweeper

Before rebooting.... manually delete any nVidia or AMD folders remaining (make sure to get only those pertaining to graphics)

Before rebooting do a quick search of your registry for any orphaned registry entries belonging to nVidia or AMD (make sure to get only those pertaining to graphics)

Reboot and install new video card drivers.

And as others have already recommended - double check the easy stuff such as loose cables and make sure the video card is firmly seated in the PCIe slot.

That's backwards of how do it, I delete all files, then registry and then Driver Sweeper

Edited by IVIYTH0S