Sign in to follow this  
Neo

Old member needs your help

Hey everybody it has been a very long time since I last posted anything and first and foremost I want to fully admit I am completely out of the game :(  Also I apologize if this is the wrong part of the forum for this question. I sort of fell out of the whole community and have been pretty busy with kids and outdoors stuff so I literally am a few years behind on my hardware knowledge and basically "what is good" these days. Also wanted to say hi to some of the old crew ClayMeow, Bosco, Nerm, Nemo, Bishop, d3bruts1d, hardnrg, Verran (I know), LoArmistead, and the list goes on and on I know there are many others from back in the good ol days.Hope you guys are all doing well! 

Okay so on to the question I have and the reason I have found my way back here:

I have an old friend who approached me about building him some uber system to play some new game called the Heart of the Swarm or something like that, I think it's a Starcraft expansion maybe. Anyway he wants to play it on ultra high settings and asked for my help. Now let me tell you I have not kept up on GPU's since the launch of the Nvidia 8800 series so that should tell you how behind I am lol. Anyway I told him there is no way I have the time these days to do all the research for him and the build not to mention the tech support he will call me for every other day. So even though I know it is against our religion guys I told him to buy a pre-build  :sick:  So can one of you guys recommend something for me? Is that CyberpowerPC place any good? And who is the kind of the mountain these days Nvidia or Ati oops I mean AMD? I know he wants to keep it under 1200$ and like I said I think his only concern is that game. Thanks guys and I apologize I have turned into such a noob lol

Edited by Neo

Something like an i5 3570K and a Radeon HD7870/NVIDIA GTX 660Ti sounds like it should be adequate.

As far as GPUs go, there really isn't much difference between NVIDIA and AMD. NVIDIA cards generally have better support and, obviously, have PhysX enabled, while AMD cards generally have more power. Obviously at the moment the NVIDIA Titan is probably the best consumer card out there.

As far as CPUs go, Intel is way ahead of AMD in this sense, AMD seems to have lagged behind and focussed on an architecture that is too early for the market (going for more cores instead of more performance-per-core), however with multithreaded apps, AMD can generally outperform an i5 and some i7s.

Just a quick update there, from my view anyway :)

Not sure about Heart of the Swarm, but StarCraft II doesn't need much. Here's a pretty good in-depth review: http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/

None of those cards are pretty hefty.

Here's another review of cards that use SC2 as a benchmark: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/11

Okay so Nvidia takes the GPU crown and Intel the CPU crown these days, thanks for the breakdown and info guys! Any thoughts on those pre-builds over at that Cyberpowerpc website? I really don't see myself building this guy anything at this point in time so I just want to send him a link.

@Bosco hey man good to see you are still running things around here, you are a true pioneer man! Are any of those other guys still kicking around this place?

Okay so Nvidia takes the GPU crown and Intel the CPU crown these days, thanks for the breakdown and info guys! Any thoughts on those pre-builds over at that Cyberpowerpc website? I really don't see myself building this guy anything at this point in time so I just want to send him a link.

@Bosco hey man good to see you are still running things around here, you are a true pioneer man! Are any of those other guys still kicking around this place?

Not neccesarily. It depends on what he wants to spend...  AMD FX-8350 is on par with 3570K but it will do better when multi threading.

A10-5800K is better than i3 3220 at the mainstream end.

SandyBridge E Processors still rule the roost but at $500-$1000 that is steep. The i7 3770K is the best all around CPU at $300.

Edited by Drdeath

Not neccesarily. It depends on what he wants to spend...  AMD FX-8350 is on par with 3570K but it will do better when multi threading.

A10-5800K is better than i3 3220 at the mainstream end.

SandyBridge E Processors still rule the roost but at $500-$1000 that is steep. The i7 3770K is the best all around CPU at $300.

The average frame rates of the 8350 and the 3570K are close, but intel wins when you look at minimum frame rates. 

ClayMeow, Nerm, Nemo, Bishop, d3bruts1d, are all staff here. :)

hardnrg is still kicking in the UK, LoArmistead we still from time to time.

Kicking and screaming and wanting to shoot the VP at my day job today.

Now How ya been Neo :)