El_Capitan's Watercooled Workstation Build (mini-Worklog)

El_Capitan

I thought I'd share my latest build for which I'll be getting into computer animation with (still learning, and can only afford Blender cuz it's free and I have a baby on the way - Autodesk Maya costs like $3,400!):

System 3 (Workstation - Computer Animation computer)
CPU: i7 980X @4.276 GHz w/HT 1.40 Vcore BIOS 2209; 1.392V - 1.408V CPU-Z | Swiftech Apogee HD 120.2 Push (7v) + Pull (5v) and a 120.2 Push (5v) + Pull (5v) Max 71C Prime95
MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6 x 4GB Samsung Extreme Low Voltage 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24-1T at 1.5V's
Graphics: Quadro 6000 with EK Copper/Steel @ 665/1800 @ stock volts Max 54C
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX with LM6172IN and two LME49720NA Op-Amps
SSD (OS/Software): Crucial M4 256GB
HDD (Storage): Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB
PSU: NZXT Hale90 850W Gold
Case: Fractal Design Refine R4 White lightly modded
Monitor(s): Dell 3007WFP 30"W 2560 x 1600 IPS
KB: Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown (shared)
Mouse: Logitech G500 (shared)

The front has a 240mm radiator (I found somewhere, and put two Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm's at 5V's pushing with two Corsair AF120's at 5V's pulling. Yeah, I know, they're not meant for radiators, but they work well enough).

frontedit.jpg

The top has the latest and greatest XSPC white AX240mm radiator. Two Scythe SY1212SL12L's at 7V's pushing with two Noctua NF-P12's in pull at 5V's.

sideedit.jpg

To go with the white theme, I even have a white PSU! I even went with almost only compression fittings (black), but I did use some nice stylish clamps where I didn't. I'm also using a beat-up MCP655-B pump.

insidesideedit.jpg

It was some work getting everything to fit.

insidetopedit.jpg

I even had a white Apogee HD to go with the white theme.

insidesidecloseedit.jpg

Lol, yeah, that's right. I watercooled AND overclocked a workstation graphics card! :D

I got a great deal on the i7 980X, the P6T Deluxe, and the Quadro 6000. Those three parts only cost me $1200 altogether (due to my various trading skillz). To think a year ago the i7 980X was still being bought at $1000 and the Quadro 6000 for $3,750. I figure I can sell it for a profit, but I really want to make a 15 minute animated short and see where that might get me. It's just hard to find the time between work and trying to be a reviewer. Why else am I up at 4:10AM when I have to go to work in 4 hours...

Anyways, I think it was worth it. I can barely tell the computer is on except when I hear the HDD spinning. If anyone's used workstation graphics cards, they can be plenty loud. Silence, is golden! Or in my case... white with some black and red, with beige on top.

Makes my rig look like a child :) that's one badass setup . I a lot people use blender for freelance work an I bet studios would use it if they had some sort of blender certification and good server node workflow. I'm sure it exist but if you have a multimillion dollar project and you have to spend 5mill to render it on a server farm I would be afraid to use anything that isn't already proven on a large scale.

• 1 month later...