Sign in to follow this  
uneedav8

i7 3820 or 3930K for a (mostly) gaming machine?

I know there is not going to be any advantages in gaming between 4 or 6 cores. But is the lower clock speed differences stock (or overclocked) on the 3930K going to hurt gaming performance that much? Going on a X79 mb with 3 way 680 4GB SLI. Thanks.

IMO, neither. The core i7 3770K will do as good job as Sandy E processors while using less expensive Z77 motherboards. X79 motherboards are more expensive. I have a 3930K with X79 motherboard and I game with my i7 3770K if that says something. If you already have the X79 motherboard, stick with the 3820. There will not be much advantage with the 3930K in gaming and you will save a boatload of cash.

Edited by Drdeath

Don't go with tri-SLI, driver issues galore. I had two GTX 690's in Quad SLI for shoots and giggles, and man, it was bad. Stick with 2 cards in SLI (no tri-SLI or Quad SLI), and wait for the next cards to come about if you really feel the need to upgrade.

Gaming specific the 3820 will do well for you. 

The 3770 does well also and will give you roughly the same performance with a more expensive CPU. You trade one thing for the other when you switch between the 3770 (Z77) and 3820 (X79)

Neither.

A 3770K or even a overclocked 2600K will give you same performance in gaming as 3820. And price performance ratio is high for 3930K compared to 3770K.

The only 2 differences are:

1. 2011 platform runs quad channels for memory

2. 2011 platform has PCIe 3.0 x16s for dual crossfire and sli (I am having trouble to recall my memory about x16/x16/x16 for 2011 on any mobo, but maybe Asrock got some)

2. 2011 platform has PCIe 3.0 x16s for dual crossfire and sli (I am having trouble to recall my memory about x16/x16/x16 for 2011 on any mobo, but maybe Asrock got some)

btw, in gaming... I cannot tell the difference lol

You have corrected your post by yourself. :P

You have corrected your post by yourself. :P

How can I correct something when there isnt any mistake?

What I mean to say is that you have made two separate posts, in one you are mentioning the technical differences ans in another one you are saying practical similarities. Both of them in one single post would have been great!

What I mean to say is that you have made two separate posts, in one you are mentioning the technical differences ans in another one you are saying practical similarities. Both of them in one single post would have been great!

You can just pick 1 of 2 that you like the best and ignore the other one

Hopefully that will take care your problem