Windows 7 install gone wrong, need help

RedFury77

I picked up my new gear (i5-3570k p8z77-v lk :woot: ) and put it together.  Now I'm trying to load win7 on, and I'm not getting very far...

Just after hitting the "install now" a message pops up saying that a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing.

IMAG1050_zps1e33c800.jpg

I am installing from an OEM disk that I used in my now dead build.  I didn't have this issue before.  

I actually have the disk for the asus dvdrw that I'm using, that's no help.  Then I figured its asking for a chipset driver for AHCI.  I threw in the asus mobo disk and although it did bring up a list of drivers (including the ahci/sata drive) win7 didn't like that either.

I googled it and have not found the fix.  

I downloaded an .iso and made a new disk, same error.  

I tried to make a usb with a iso, but for the life of me I can't even get the iso burn't onto the drive.  The win7 usb dvd tool says it's an invalid .iso.  WintoFlash doesn't see the file at all.  Ugh.

I am clawing at my brain to figure this out, but I'm running out of grey matter. :doh:  

Please if anyone has gone threw this or knows how to fix it, let me know.  

The closest thing I saw to a fix was to make a bootable usb and start the install, when you hit the error you are supposed to cancel out and then swap the usb drive to a different port and then hit the install now button again and it bypasses the error.  Sounds crazy but 10 people said it worked for them.  I just can't seem to even make a stinking usb though.... :wallbash:

:thx:

its home premium x64

I've tried a asus and a lite-on drive.  multiple hdds too.

i just tried it in IDE mode instead of AHCI...same problem

Edited by RedFury77

use the Microsoft Boot tool for making a bootable thumbdrive... it will format the flash drive and install either the ISO or the contents of the DVD

if you keep having issues i am going to say you are having memory issues... have you Cleared the CMOS and made sure the memory voltage is set as listed on the sticks?

after that make a bootable flash drive with Memtest or use Unebooten to load Ultimate Boot CD and run it that way

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

have you Cleared the CMOS

Yes

and made sure the memory voltage is set as listed on the sticks?

No.  I'll go check that.

the auto settings had it right at 1.5v and 9-9-9-24 but 1333 instead of 1600.  I changed all the autos to manual inputs.   

Edited by RedFury77

Wooot!!!  up and running!!! :woo:

I tried my OEM disk, then googled and found ISO X17-58997, then contacted microsoft and got ISO X17-24209, still every time it hung with the same error or missing driver.  Then with some well needed guidance from Bubbaxm2 I finally found an ISO that worked just like it's supposed to.

This seems like a pretty all inclusive list of ISOs : http://forums.mydigitallife.info/archive/index.php/t-18769.html  Maybe it'll help out somebody in the future.

I still can't make a damn bootable usb drive though!   :doh:   Maybe it's because this is an XP machine (I followed all the steps for xp though)  or maybe I'm just too damn old.  

:cheers: thanks for all the help OCC! :cheers:

windows is as easy as loading the MS boot tool and just pointing it to an ISO... then booting to the flash drive

you MUST make sure that the flash drive you are trying to use is seen in the BIOS. most of the ones I use like the SanDisk Cruser or the Kingston DataTravlers are seen as Hard Drives....

you just make the flash drive and plug it in and reboot and then go to the Hard Drive BOOT order and change the hard drive to the that of the flash drive... very simple

On the link I posted scroll down to instructions and click the Boot Tool link and download the tool (automatic once you click the link).... install it and then run it

Glad you got it fixed, but what do you mean by xp machine ? That cpu and mb was not even made when xp was on the go,lol .

edit- ha,ha, just figured out what you meant, time to go to bed I guess. :no:

Edited by SpikeSoprano

windows is as easy as loading the MS boot tool and just pointing it to an ISO... then booting to the flash drive

Well it's supposed to be!  But with all the iso's I have made, the MS tool say "invalid iso". Even the one that worked and I could burn to a usb drive (the only one I could burn to usb) ended with an error about a boot sector....I didn't even bother any further because the dvd already worked.

Glad you got it fixed, but what do you mean by xp machine ? That cpu and mb was not even made when xp was on the go,lol .

edit- ha,ha, just figured out what you meant, time to go to bed I guess. :no:

Yeah all my PC's (5+1) are still running on windows xp, except for my personal PC which I have bought just the one windows 7 licence for.   :teehee: