Need Some Advise On My Build

Trunks

Well I've put computers together for quite a while but it was always "if it doesn't fit try another one" because we pretty much had an unlimited supply of everything we could need (So different types of RAM, etc was unknown)

So I'm not going to have a problem putting this computer together, once I have all of the parts.

I'll list the parts I already have (I'm going to be purchasing 1-2 parts per month)

Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series DDR3 32GB 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Quad Kit PV332G160C9QK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00453R7SQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZN2NH6/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the parts I have saved on my Amazon wishlist (So I know what to purchase next):

Corsair Professional Series  AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX750)
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Series-Modular-AX750/dp/B003PJ6QWE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GPR1F1IFQE3Z&coliid=I18ZZ99I8E6WFQ

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N660 TF 2GD5/OC(Possibly two)
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-Graphics-N660-TF/dp/B0094CX8QI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GPR1F1IFQE3Z&coliid=IAU736ZO01I2O

Cooler Master HAF 922 - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports (RC-922M-KKN3-G?P)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-HAF-922-RC-922M-KKN3-GP/dp/B0026FCI2U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GPR1F1IFQE3Z&coliid=I21Z9ENHP8UBXM

Yes I am aware that I am missing a motherboard, CPU, hard drive/s. (I don't think I am missing anything else?)

Now I was looking to pick out a motherboard and CPU but now I need to make sure the RAM and CPU cooler that I already have will fit.

So how do I know that my cooler & RAM will fit the CPU & motherboard? :?

What should I look for in a good motherboard?

Also I can switch the case which I picked (Cooler Master HAF 922) to something else, I was going to buy the HAF-X but I ran in to some problems with the purchase of it, so that is out of the question...

Does anyone even know if the Cooler Master HAF 922 will be able to have the cooler in it?

If there is anything else that you'd suggest I should buy feel free to tell me. :3

>Yes I know I should have bought the CPU and worked away from that...

Thanks!

Edited by Trunks

I forgot to mention that I know I am new here so I haven't earned anyones advise or respect, I am going to take part in the community as I grow fonder of building computers.

>I'm not here to get an answer and then leave...

The cooler you have selected should fit in the 240mm fan slots at the top of the case, you should not have any problems fitting the cooler onto the motherboard, as the watercooling block is fairly small. Just check it has a mount for the socket you propose to use and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

With regards to processor and motherboard, the main question is what will you be using the rig for, and whether you have any preference towards AMD or Intel. With this information we should be able to help you more. You needn't worry too much about RAM compatibility as most modern boards should support DDR3 PC3-12800 memory, however you might want a standard ATX board over microATX, as many microATX boards will not have 4 slots for the RAM, and are less likely to support 32GB.

The cooler you have selected should fit in the 240mm fan slots at the top of the case, you should not have any problems fitting the cooler onto the motherboard, as the watercooling block is fairly small. Just check it has a mount for the socket you propose to use and you should be good to go :thumbsup:

With regards to processor and motherboard, the main question is what will you be using the rig for, and whether you have any preference towards AMD or Intel. With this information we should be able to help you more. You needn't worry too much about RAM compatibility as most modern boards should support DDR3 PC3-12800 memory, however you might want a standard ATX board over microATX, as many microATX boards will not have 4 slots for the RAM, and are less likely to support 32GB.

Thanks for your response it's much appreciated.

I want the rig for mainly "general" use such as college work and some PHP coding, photoshopping...

I was never really one for gaming but that's because I would easily get bored of them, I assume PC-Gaming is a whole different world because of the avaliable mods and such... (So I want it for gaming aswell as general use)

AMD, Intel it's all the same to me. Well unless there is more to it than a brand name, if one is cheaper than the other I'd prefer that.

I wouldn't have noticed that on the board until it was too late, thanks again!

I'd choose the 7950 over the 660  :)

Is there any reason for that?

inb4BiggerNumber :3

An AMD Radeon HD7950 is a high-end AMD GPU, whereas a NVIDIA GTX660 is a mid-range NVIDIA card that performs around the levels of a Radeon HD7850/7870.

If you are going to do some light gaming, I would recommend getting a Intel Core i5 2500K or 3570K. With the cooler you are looking at, I would assume you will be doing some serious overclocking, so I would go for the 3570K to use the cooler's full potential. If you are not planning on overclocking, we can cut down on a lot of stuff.

I don't know if you have another reason, but 32GB of RAM is a massive overkill for some light gaming/photoshop/coding. It would be much cheaper to go for 16GB (4x4GB or 18GB 3x6GB in tri-channel) than going all-out for the 32GB.

So to sum up;

- Will you be overclocking your processor, and if so, will it be an extreme overclock?

- Will there be any other uses of the computer aside from light gaming, photoshop and coding?

I'd choose the 7950 over the 660  :)

Is there any reason for that?

inb4BiggerNumber :3

An AMD Radeon HD7950 is a high-end AMD GPU, whereas a NVIDIA GTX660 is a mid-range NVIDIA card that performs around the levels of a Radeon HD7850/7870.

If you are going to do some light gaming, I would recommend getting a Intel Core i5 2500K or 3570K. With the cooler you are looking at, I would assume you will be doing some serious overclocking, so I would go for the 3570K to use the cooler's full potential. If you are not planning on overclocking, we can cut down on a lot of stuff.

I don't know if you have another reason, but 32GB of RAM is a massive overkill for some light gaming/photoshop/coding. It would be much cheaper to go for 16GB (4x4GB or 18GB 3x6GB in tri-channel) than going all-out for the 32GB.

So to sum up;

- Will you be overclocking your processor, and if so, will it be an extreme overclock?

- Will there be any other uses of the computer aside from light gaming, photoshop and coding?

Well I don't think I'll need any overclocking yet (Unless it will make a big enough difference?)

I got 32GB of RAM because I got it on a real decent price (

By the way the

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R787OC-2GD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PJVB3Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N660 TF 2GD5/OC(Possibly two)
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-Graphics-N660-TF/dp/B0094CX8QI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2GPR1F1IFQE3Z&coliid=IAU736ZO01I2O

hit right at the end of my budget. (Can't get anything better)

As you've already said they perform at the same 'level', so I may aswell pick out of something like style on these?

Just for your info; try not to bump up your thread all the time. If you need to add more info then you can edit your previous post by clicking the 'Edit' button next to 'MultiQuote' at the bottom. Feel free to bump up your thread to generate interest, but please don't do it too much! :)

Back on-topic;

From the info you have given, I would suggest that you have slightly overspecced your machine. I would suggest something along these lines;

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K - $214.99 - Fast chip at stock with decent overclocking potential provided adequate cooling is available

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX - $116.99 - Cheap-ish Z77 motherboard, while providing reasonable overclocking features if needed

Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance - $96.87 - Reliable brand of memory, 16GB should be adequate for what is required

Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 - $249.99 - Excellent video card for gaming at a reasonable price

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $75.46 - 7,200RPM drive for storage

OS Drive: 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - $115.99 - Cheap-ish SSD for fast boot times, and space for Photoshop to improve load times

Power Supply: Corsair TX650 - $99.00 - Reliable power supply with headroom for overclocking/upgrades

Total: $970.28

I would not recommend that you buy an aftermarket cooler until you plan to overclock, the stock Intel cooler will provide adequate cooling at stock clocks. Other than that, I think you would be very happy with this build.