DnaAngel

Computer crashes while gaming

Okay so it seems like Im back to square one again...

Not sure who all did or didnt read my last post few weeks ago about the problem, but here it is again. 

(Pasted from first post)

Ive built this computer literally 4 days ago, and since then Ive had nothing but problems with it for some reason. It runs fine, until I try to play games. Every game Ive played from Wow to BF3, PC just randomly crashes for no reason and it ONLY happens while gaming.

Im PC savvy so of of course my drivers are all up to date as well as the newest BIOS installed. At first I thought it was my OC, so I reverted everything back to stock and cleared the CMOS. Still same problem. Ive done everything I know how to do. Re-installed all the drivers. re-seated everything. Ran Prime95, AIDA64, Furmark, Memtest, Intel Burn-in ECT as well as SSD/HDD stability tests. Everything passes. I could understand if it was just ONE game but 7?

i know cooler is seated properly as even at 1.35v and a 4.7 OC I never once hit 70C at max load even after 30 mins of stressing. According to RealTemp, Speedfan and AIDA64. RAM is seated good as BIOS reads both modules and they pass 3 consecutive MEMtest runs. Ive re-seated GPU several times and all the stability tests Ive thrown at it never had a problem, unless I OC it but that's to be expected for a card that is already OCed like a mofo. ive also disabled iGPU on the i5 thinking that was causing it as well as uninstalling Lucid MVP and AI suite II

What could it possibly be? its driving me mad here!

here are the specs;

Asus Maximus V Formula

Intel Core i5-3570k

Xigmatek Dark Knight II w/AC5

G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8Gb 2133

Asus Direct Cu II GTX 660Ti 

Intel Cherryville 520 120GB SSD

Rosewill CAPSTONE 650watt 80+ Gold

Edited Update:

I thought the problem was fixed at first but its been doing it again. Seems like it only does it on certain games. Borderlands 2 BSOD within 3-40mins of game time. GTA 4 crashes to DESKTOP anywhere from 5-120mins of game time. FEAR 2 wont load past into cut scene without crashing PC same with Dead Space 2.  World of Warcraft is spotty. Sometimes it works for awhile sometimes I crash during my first dungeon run.

Games that work: Dirt 2/3, though after extended periods of Dirt 2 game play PC crashes upon returning to desktop and trying to load something like the internet, music ect. Star Trek Online works flawless as well as Star Wars The Old Republic,Dead Space 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, The Run and Shift 1/2 . Unreal 2004/3 also works flawlessly.

Ive re-flashed the BIOS to different versions, Re-installed windows,Re-installed audio drivers, Re-installed .NET 4 Framework. Ive re-installed Video drivers to various versions (Did clean uninstalls via safe mode/driver sweeper). Ive even down clocked the video card thinking thats what it was, but even at -500mhz on the core/mem it didnt fix the problem. I swapped in another card the Radeon HD 6450 that never had a problem in my roomates PC. Didnt test it out in games but OCCT showed alot of errors on the memory like it did my GTX 660ti so im thinking its not the video card. I get a BCCode 116 error on the error screen that pops up when windows re loads after crashes. Sources indicate its a video card driver when I googled the error codes (ive tried 6 different Nvidia drivers). 

PC passes any and all Stability test from AIDA64 to 3DMark 11. I ran MSi Kombustor on all settings and test overnight for a week straight (1 night per different test) All's good when I wake up. yet cannot play any good game for more then 2 hours at tops without crashing PC completely in  the middle of gaming. I DO NOT get a Blue screen. Screens just go black then sounds goes "errrrrrr" ( like a hesitation noise) and PC reboots. All rails on PSU are working correctly as noted by physically hand checking them with volt meter. I monitor all temps Case/CPu/GPu/HDDs while gaming none come remotely close to be considered "hot" so temps aren't an issue either.

Any more ideas guys?

Edited by DnaAngel

Just crashed again.. heres the BlueScreen Viewer text 

Bug Check Code: 0x00000116

Parameter 1: fffffa80`0b91e010

Parameter 2: fffff880`081666c4

Parameter 3: ffffffff`c000009a

Parameter 4: 00000000`00000004

Caused by driver: dxgkrnl.sys

Caused by address: dxgkrnl.sys+5d000

Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+75c40

Other drivers that pop up in the report that are highlighted in red: 

dxgmms1.sys

nvlddmkm.sys

Re installed windows 4 times (reformatted HDD's each time prior to install) and I still get same errors.

Edited by DnaAngel

I had a similar issue that turned out to be RAM, if you have any spare sticks lying around, I would check that :)

Euro

I had a similar issue that turned out to be RAM, if you have any spare sticks lying around, I would check that :)

Euro

Ran Memtest86+ though

just swapped memory sticks with known working ones..Borderlands 2 crashed within 2 mins :(

Swapped video card with a known working one, testing atm.....

Edited by DnaAngel

So its seems it was thew video card? One I swapped with ran BL2 for 20 mins not a hitch. Swapped other card back in and bam crashed within 2 mins again. If it is the video card, how come certain games work perfectly and others make it crash PC completely? partially defective Vram?

And how come GPU will pass all its test..AIDA64 GPU Stress, 3Dmark11 all tests, Furmark, Msi Kombustor ect. Passes every time. I would think if the GPU is defective it wouldn't be able to pass, let alone all of them.

Edited by DnaAngel

Wow that sucks, but good you found the culprit.  I went to asus to see if there was a new bios out for that card, it says it's an update but is ver1.0   :blink: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660_TIDC2O2GD5/#support_Download_30

I was wondering why it would run the benchmarks and burn-ins ok but crash in a game... the only thing I can think of is how most of the benchmarks have a steady usage while games throw spikes of graphics at the card.  Like the difference between Furmark and then a game like Boarderlands which is fairly calm until explosions start going off.   Not that it really matters I guess, just wondering if that matched what you saw.

How do I go about flashing the BIOS of Gpus? This is something Ive never attempted or have no knowledge in doing.

Nevermind lol, Clicked your link. its a .exe file   :woot:

Edited by DnaAngel