Upgrading from a SATA II to a SATA III made my i7-920 unstable, I had to go from 4.2 GHz down to 3.8GHz. It was a pain in the ass to figure out because the error messages pointed to the video cards.

Was that a MB change or just switched a drive to a Sata3 port?

my i7-920 C0 wont clock as hight but thats due to other issues :) 

like pushing a bit more juice for an extended time had it running around 4.1ghz 1.5vcore, 1.45qtt after that it didnt like more the 1.38v on either.., later had a waterblock plug up spiking temps over 95C for a few weeks, looked like it rebooted a few times due to overheating but as the system sets in a back room folding I didnt notice right away.... now it's setting happy at around 3.6ghz w/ ~1.34v pushing more volts just makes it unstable lol. I check on it a bit more often now still runs a bit warm (upper 70's) lol..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrading from a SATA II to a SATA III made my i7-920 unstable, I had to go from 4.2 GHz down to 3.8GHz. It was a pain in the ass to figure out because the error messages pointed to the video cards.

920 & 2600K are vastly different and so is the scenario.

And those who are thinking about graphics card issue - it doesn't look like a problem anything to do with graphics card. At least to me.

Ill have to agree with most posters here. I would also reflash BIOS to latest version. I also wouldn't rule out a unruly driver as to the cause. uninstall all essential drivers like Video, Audio and Chipset ect via safe mode. Run Driver-sweeper while still in Safe Mode. Reboot and re-install all drivers to newest versions preferably Win8 versions of the driver via Motherboard Manuf. Site.

ive noticed on my VM Win 8 trial runs I had some issues with non W8 drivers that I didn't know where running causing stability problems. It wasn't overclocked at the time, but i wouldn't put past a OC irritating the issue even if Win8 runs fine at bios stock settings.

Edited by DnaAngel