Sign in to follow this  
littlepobs

Looking to upgrade GPU but I'd like to double check if that is bes

Hi all,

I've been to another site and asked but i wanted to get a second opinion if you guys dont mind (its not that I don't trust them but I can be too quick to buy :) ).

My current set up is:

i7 [email protected]
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366)
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Crossfired 1GB Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870's

I play games quite alot but currently have a 3D monitor which doesnt have the best resolution. Playing most new games on a fairly high settings. I have noticed recently I have to turn down settings more often and I find having crossfire sometimes ends up giving me some problems.

I looked at maybe buying a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2048MB for around

You're probably being RAM-limited at this point if your monitor is 1080p...and especially if you're running 3D.

I ditched my 5970 for a 7870 and got a bump in performance for most newer games at 1080p.

I'm curious as to what 3D monitor doesn't have high resolution. As for your GPU I feel that really comes down to personal preference theses days, the Radeon cards tend to be cheaper than the nvidia cards. In my own opinion and personal experience cheaper all too often equals lower quality. In the past ATI drivers have had a bad record with buggy drivers, however since AMD acquired them I've heard that has changed. 

Personally I still prefer Nvidia over the AMD Radeon cards. The performance differences aren't too far apart and the Radeon make for an attractive lower cost alternative.

That said I would recommend putting the video card upgrade on hold until you've got that 920 overclocked. It overclocks quite well i've had mine up to 4.4ghz stable on water cooling and run it at 4.2ghz 24/7 overclock.

It would probably be better to spend some money on a more efficient cooling solution now and have it for future builds than to continue dreaming of it.

I'm curious as to what 3D monitor doesn't have high resolution. As for your GPU I feel that really comes down to personal preference theses days, the Radeon cards tend to be cheaper than the nvidia cards. In my own opinion and personal experience cheaper all too often equals lower quality. In the past ATI drivers have had a bad record with buggy drivers, however since AMD acquired them I've heard that has changed. 

Personally I still prefer Nvidia over the AMD Radeon cards. The performance differences aren't too far apart and the Radeon make for an attractive lower cost alternative.

That said I would recommend putting the video card upgrade on hold until you've got that 920 overclocked. It overclocks quite well i've had mine up to 4.4ghz stable on water cooling and run it at 4.2ghz 24/7 overclock.

It would probably be better to spend some money on a more efficient cooling solution now and have it for future builds than to continue dreaming of it.

What monitor? What resolution? How much money do you have and are willing to spend?

Personally though I'd go for a 7950, or even a 7970 as that wont cost much more than the 670. Depends on $$$