Opteron 2P or 4P Folding Monster

Renigade

Im looking at the folding seriously now that I realize I don't want to stop for any period of time and see that I can get a multi threaded processor that can out preform 4 Nvidia GPUs and use less power.

•  Dual socket motherboard 350-400 (BRANDS?)
  • 2x cpus 400-5009 (Chip modles ?)
  • Ram MoBo dependent (any old ram work here?)
  • PSU  ( I just have no clue what to look for here either with out Mo-Bo Ideas)
  • case (do i need a special case or will this fit in say an elcheapo Antech 900-1200?
  • can this type of setup give me 100k 24hr avarage? or will I need a 4P

I would love to be able to help put OCC back where we were when I first started folding I think we were at 40?

We need to reinvigorate our folding culture here.

How do we get more people folding?

Im looking at energy use or cost over time. I just noticed they nerfed the bigadv unless I was reading BS saying that bigadv is now a minimum of 16 cores?

You'll have to spend A LOT to beat out 3-4 GPUs with an Opteron server with CPU alone IMHO.

Ok I want to get the Best PPD per kilowatt hour do i just get an i7 920 and OC it to 3.4 and run just 1 nvidia?

I want to run 1 folding rig 24-7

I want to give the electric company the least amount of $ per points

Im looking at energy use or cost over time. I just noticed they nerfed the bigadv unless I was reading BS saying that bigadv is now a minimum of 16 cores?

You'll have to spend A LOT to beat out 3-4 GPUs with an Opteron server with CPU alone IMHO.

Ok I want to get the Best PPD per kilowatt hour do i just get an i7 920 and OC it to 3.4 and run just 1 nvidia?

I want to run 1 folding rig 24-7

I want to give the electric company the least amount of $ per points

My daily driver is an 17 920 at 3.6 running a GTX 560ti and my 24hr average is close to 32k but spikes as high as 44k depending on the WU's I get. You will want to get a passkey to improve your point total. I am looking at putting in a couple GTX 570 or 580's to see what they can do. 

On a CPU more cores are always going to do well. My wife averages usually in the 29 to 32k range with just a 980x at 4.1Ghz.  I need to get her 7970 folding but don't really want to get the grief when she gets the slideshow effect and lag associated with some of the GPU WU's.