Sign in to follow this  
ClayMeow

Defragging Secondary Harddrive

Okay, so here's the scenario:

I have a secondary harddrive (D:), as most people do, and it's used for storage...music, movies, tv shows, etc etc. As such, I've done a lot of rearranging of files...deleting, moving, adding...so it could probably use a defrag.

Now the question:

When one does a defrag of the primary drive (C:) which has Windows on it, you're not supposed to do anything while it's defragging. In win98 i know it would restart itself if any activity occurred, don't know if that happens in winxp also, but that's besides the point. Most people just have their system defrag overnight or while they're out.

Well, i was wondering....if I made sure I didn't access anything from my D: Drive, could I run defrag while doing stuff on my comp, like being on the internet, or playing games, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks for the help.

Well before i had my computer defragging my hardrive cleaning up some old files checking for viruses and i was listening to music. I was given no problems the music played fine no lag the defrag went fast and so did the virus scan.

sweet thanks...i'll give it a try tomorrow. My comp's too loud to have it defrag overnight :)