DisK not Recognized

Shurman292

My SSD is on the Marvell controller.  I've been hearing (from Waco) that the Intel 3gbps provides faster random operations than the Marvell controller, so I was thinking about switching it.  Since I changed it to IDE mode though, I think I'll keep it on the Marvell controller.

I educated myself extensively on the Marvel vs. Intel SATA controller issues on the X58 platform, both through reading and practical experimentation.  While everything I read, and even my own testing confirmed that the Intel controller provided faster random ops and write speeds, I personally never had any issues with the Marvell controller and my SSD drives.  I stuck with the Marvel controller up until moving over to Z68.  In reality, as long as the controller is running stable with your SSD - the performance differences can't be measured in the blink of an eye.

I guess my main point is that there isn't anything wrong with continuing to use the Marvell SATAIII controller.  I did find that the standard Microsoft AHCI driver seemed to work better than the Marvell driver though.....  go figure. 

By the way... it's AHCI (advanced host controller interface) not ACHI   :tongue:  

Thanks for the input wevs, I will definitely leave my SSD on the Marvell controller since it is quite stable.  I am satisfied with the real-life speed it provides, regardless of the benchmarks only showing about 385MB/s read (specs say 550).  Once I get a graduate, get a job, and start getting money instead of giving it away like candy at a parade, I will upgrade so I can ditch this Marvell controller and install more RAM :)

Yes, I know...I saw Bubba's post and must've had ACHI on the brain.  Thanks for pointing that out to me!

If you have tried deleting the Upper and Lower limit registry files as suggested and also updated the Intel chipset drivers to the newest version to no avail.  And there is nothing physically wrong with it, and then you are truly correct that some software might be interfering in it and creating such an issue.

Can you tell me where does it say disc not inserted?

If you have tried deleting the Upper and Lower limit registry files as suggested and also updated the Intel chipset drivers to the newest version to no avail. And there is nothing physically wrong with it, and then you are truly correct that some software might be interfering in it and creating such an issue.

Can you tell me where does it say disc not inserted?

He already got it fixed. AHCI + optical drive = unhappy drive. Odd, but makes sense in a weird way. :lol: