Xeon E5-1650 HP Workstation VS i7 3930K Custom PC

Hello,

I need your advice in finalizing the decision on the workstation that I will use to work a large-scale number crunching project. I need a computer to both finalize the analysis system framework and also for the production pc to later perform the daily analysis of the stock price data. My 2009 laptop is simply not coping any more

thank you for your reply....I wonder if a XEON E3-1230V2 based system can pull of recalculating 500 MB excel files thousands of times daily???? Please let me know what you think of the following server (it costs 2 times less than the top z420 workstation using the e5-1650 Xeon):

DELL PowerEdge T110 II TOWER Quad Core Xeon E3-1230v2 3.3GHz(8MB cache 69W Turbo), 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

do you think this server can be used as a workstation instead of the HP z420?

It depends on the load

I had an ITX workstation with a xeon 1230v2, 8gb ECC DDR3 (essential for this kinda work) and a GTX 580 for rendering work (didnt need workstation card, most critial stuff was CPU based.

But i never did that kinda work on it, more so 3D modelling/rendering.

If you are in America, newegg sells 2011 socket Xeon CPUs, can then get a dedicated server board, or many Asus "WS" series boards support Xeons and ECC ram.

Clock for clock, and core for core, xeons = their i7 counterparts, however they offer the ECC ram, which is a must.

I would use the Xeon as it supports ECC (Error-Checking-Code) memory.

This is not generally required under normal workloads, but when it comes to 24hr processing, ECC is essential.

+1 . Xeon support ECC ram, thats about the extent of the difference if you don't count lower power requirments (i don't).

I was actually expecting or @Waco to cut in now and make my life easier, but I'll just go on myself then :lol:

From what @Muchoman1 said about the Xeons, I would just like to highlight, so from what I can see, the E3-1230 would be satisfactory, but I would always go for the more powerful one if it was possible:

Clock for clock, and core for core, Xeons are identical their i7 counterparts

I know it's probably not something that interests you, but you could probably build an equivalent rig for much cheaper by buying the parts individually.

I always say if time is money don't cut corners. So if you need to to be on 24/7 than you need ECC ram and a Xeon. Along with that, I would say a lot of my downtime comes from software error over hardware. getting a good motherboard can save you lots of problems. I have the Asus P9X79 WS and it's a great board (except for onboard raid issues, all x79 have it).

Go with the Xeon chip & Server Board, if your time is worth money,..Over the i7 platform ,..I have a SuperMicro X9SRA with E5- Sandy Bridge, Samsung ECC 1600C11,..Server, and for the price, The X9SRA is a GREAT! board, with lots of options.  

Edited by Braegnok