Sudden frame rate drop every 30s in DX 11 applications, please help&#3

I think @Onion has a GTX275 for sale on his for sale thread if you were looking to SLI, that might be good enough to satisfy your gaming needs until the RMA goes through, EVGA are normally quite good as far as that goes though.

Glad that sorted your issue  :thumbsup:

Edited by EuroFight

Something else on the board could be overheating. The GPU temperature only lets you know the core is okay -- the VRMs could be heating up and causing it to throttle under heavy workloads.

I've been using the card with the Accelero xtreme plus cooler for 2 years without any problem, and I also did take the cooler and the VRM heatsink apart and then re-apply them together but didn't solve the problem. 

The weird thing was that the issue only appears when the GPU is stressed under DX 11 application, 3Dmark Vantage, a DX 10 application, did not have the issue under 100% GPU load. 

thanks for the info Waco, I tried GPU-Z when running Unigene heaven 3.0 but it only shows the temp of GPU and PCB...I wonder if PCB means VRMs? anyway PCB temp is 37 C

If the tessellation is stressful to VRMs then I think one of my VRMs must have gone bad, since only DX 11 (which uses tessellation) suffers. 

• 3 months later...

Hi, joined after googling the OP's issue. I have a portable LAN PC built off an ASUS micro ATX board, 4GB DDR2, and an Athlon X2 5400+ (non-OCable and running at stock IIRC.) I have had a Radeon 5750 to which I attributed this exact issue, until I replaced it with a 6770 and the issue returned after a few minutes of play. With the old card I tested this on League of Legends, BF 3, FF14, SW:TOR, and now Guild Wars 2.

Both cards are DirectX 11, but this clearly doesn't look like a hardware defect. Old card has been tested in other machines with no issue. New card only tested with GW2, and the slowdown seems a little less pronounced, but it's the same cycle. A minute or so of good gameplay, 5 seconds of garbage.

Sorry if bad manners raising this old thread. Anyone have any further advice? I'm going to try replacing the processor.

Edited by Tensile